Advertisements
Advertisements
We just adopted our now 29 month old foster twins. We got services started FINALLY just before the adoption. Well now several of the therapists think that our son may have sensroy integration dysfunction. Does anyone have any experience with this or have a child that has it?
yanknrebel
It's very possible our foster son has SID. He will be evaluated next month again to get a clearer picture.
On this website:
[URL="http://www.borntoexplore.org/sensory.htm"]http://www.borntoexplore.org/sensory.htm[/URL]
There is a great list of signs or symptoms of SID. My foster son has almost all of them! Life is tough for these little guys, and often tough for the person taking care of them. But getting the help they need is very important and very beneficial!
Advertisements
I work in Special Ed. and many of the kids i work with are on the Autistic Spectrum, most of them have Sensory Intergration Dysfunction. They have problems with eating certain foods, they can have issues with the feeling of cotton. Thearpy is a excellent way to handle the dysfunction. I also suggest buying toys for home that helps sensory intergration.
Ok Im not sure, but I think my son used to have this. He came to our home at 15 months old. He hated to be touched and would scream if we would touch him. He hated how some objects felt like some blankets. He could not eat either. We tried tons of different food, but everything would make him gag and throw up. We actually did not go out to eat for a year becouse people would get gross out with his gaging. Doctor had to prescribe pediasure (those shakes for kids), he had to have 3 per day (medicaid paid for it and it was delivered to our house every month). He would fall all the time and would not put his arms out to break the fall, he would fall on his face. He always had bruises on his head. He was terrified by loud noises. We could not read one small page of a book, he would jump from toys to toys really fast. He had speech, physical and occupational therapy. Well he is 4 now and he is doing wonderful. He is a normal healthy child. It took a year for his eating problems to fully go away, yet still he is picky eater. He had speech therapy till he turned two and now we can not stop him from talking. He even talks better then our 6 yr old nephew. Occupational therapy lasted till he was 3 1/2. Physical therapy he still has, but its becouse he has problems with his feet. Touching is no longer a problem he loves to be held and hug and kissed. Some object make him nervouse by touch, but he now tries to touch it several time till he gets used to the feel. He rarely falls. He can sit a play with something for hours (like video games:p ). Loud noises make him nervouse, but he does not panick. I dont know if he had SID, but if he did he is doing wonderful.
Our two little guys both have SID.
The 3 yo has issues with self regulation, at times it's a little like he has ADHD, very hyperactive and out of control, especially in visually busy places (the mall, McDonald's, etc.) & loud noises set him off. He has to swing or jump on the tramp several times a day to stay regulated. He also has a weighted vest he wears & sleeps with a weighted blanket.
M is always jumping off the couch, bumping down the stairs, squeezing his head between couch cushions - trying to get deep pressure input. At the same time, he has the most sensitive feet - won't go anywhere without socks & shoes (inc. the pool). And with his hands, it's freak out if he has a speck of dirt on a finger or he's covered in mud, there's no in-between.
Kids with SID can be both seeking stimulation (hyposensitive) and repulsed by certain input (hypersensitive).
M gets OT once a week & we have a daily sensory diet of activities to help him stay regulated.
Baby G was just diagnosed at 8 months. He craves the bouncing, jumping (proprioceptive) input & swinging (vestibular). He, too, has self regulation issues. But his biggest is that he refuses to eat baby food - spits it right out. You can tell it's the texture of the food that he can't stand. He also only puts smooth plastic toys in his mouth. So, he'll be getting OT as well, once Medicaid approves.
We've been told that SID is genetic & can be related to drug exposure in-utero.
There's a good SID yahoo group I belong to, if you want to pm me, I can send you more info.
My son is an SI kid. He was almost 3 when adopted Internationally, from an orphanage.
He has severe delays in modulation. His visual processing and auditory processing have improved greatly over the past 3years.
However, he seeks movement and touch most. He has no concept of 'unsafe'. A few weeks ago, he climbed out of the 'child proof' rear window of a friend's car, onto the roof and hung over the windshield waving and yelling hi! In a matter of seconds. She didn't even know he got out, he was so quick and quiet.
There are some good websites out there - look up sensory integration. It is called many things sid/spd the 'D' being dysfunction or disorder, it depends.
Get an OT eval ASAP. Insist on an SI certified OT for therapy. Work on the sensory issues at home.
My son sits on a twisty inflatable cushion, weighted lap blanket, and a chewy for oral stimulation. His OT suggested buying pressure garments for him. But, I cannot afford such things.
It's very important for you to learn everything you can. I've had so many people tell that he needs to be spanked. Don't get me wrong, you will see that I have posted that I do spank - but not for these things. He enjoys spanking. He craves the firm touch. I've had people tell me to medicate him, because he's ADHD - he can't sit. I tell him to sit down at least 50 times during a meal. I tried ADHD meds, didn't work. I was right - doc's, teachers, et al were wrong.
I have, however medicated him. The drug he is taking is actually helping a great deal more than I thought it would. It works on the neuro-tranmitters in his brain. SID is a neurological condition. Lack of sensory input as an infant cause the brain to not form the proper neural pathways. The sensory info comes into the bran and kind of traffic jams.
I've found that overstiming one sense, lets the others process much better. Classical, instrumental, jazz music playing the background tend to really help my son.
His main areas of difficulty are tactile, vestibular and proprioceptive. I have a mini-tramp in the dining room. He jumps alot. I have a 'sitting' ball. Trying to keep his balance overstims that area for the other areas to focus. We have music or the TV on at almost all times - it's just background noise. I have a small ball, similar to a doggy ball, with spikes on it. He rolls it between his hand, and sometimes I roll it on his back. Different massagers. The tub is a great place for sensory input. Use shaving cream, soap 'paint', if you have a tactile kid. I put shaving cream on his chest and we draw letters in it. Play doh, dry rice, dry beans, sand all great tactile things.
What I find interesting, is the best SI things are the old fashioned, no battery required toys.
It's amazing what you can improvise.
Sorry, I got long winded - it's a passion of mine. No one at my son's school ever heard of this (you will probably see some of that too), so I've done alot of research and educating.
Get The Out of Sync Child. There's a wealth of info in that book.
Advertisements
Thank you all so much. Ethan has SO many of these same things. He and his sister were born at 29 weeks gestation to a biomom who did drugs and alcohol. Ethan had to remain in the hospital for almost three months due to several lung problems associated with prematurity. His siter w ent home after a month. Their biom left the babies to cry in their cribs. Rarely were they held or stimulated in any way. SHe would not even go in to check on them or feed them after 8pm at night. SHe left them to cry. SHe would literally leave them alone at night (ALL ALONE in the apartment) while she went out partying. When we got them Evie (we have now adopted them) would not even cry. Not at all. We had to watch her closely to check her for hunger, or daiper changing.
Ethan has issues with getting his hands or feet dirty. If he gets anything on them, he has to run to me to clean them off. He is either a 90 mile a minute kid or he is very still. He is very aggressive when it comes to hugs and kisses. He loves them but doesn't know his own strength. He will eat hot foods that have just come out of the stove if I am not watching him. He gags on certain textures such as coleslaw (I don't like it either so it may be the taste). He HAS to have the tv on at all times or he freaks out. Both at night with music and during the day with tv shows. He plays mostly by himself even though his twin sister and his 4 year old sister are playing right in the same room. He is a very stealth escape artist. I have to constantly stay on him at McDOnald's because he will not stay in the play area and always going into the lobby. Making McD's almost impossible to go to. He acts awful whenever we go anywhere public. We just joined our local YMCA and have gone twice. Both times, he has acted loud and atrociuosly. Running all over, crying yelling, having meltdowns. He is obsessed with playing in the water. While we have a large fenced in kid friendly backyard, with playset, playhouse, the most that he wants to do is play witht he water hose trying to get water to come out. He used to not like the swing. He would lie on his tummy but would not sit on the swing. Then after stiing on my lap on swing for a few times, he will now sit on it himself and enjoys it. He FREAKS out when he gets on an elevator. He tenses up and really starts to have almost like a panic attack. Just hanging on to me for dear life . I have had all of his therapists (speech, TIPS, and even his OT for his eval) have stated they think he has SID. We should be his therapy for OT very soon. I am now trying to find a place that will give him an eval, which I am told needs to be done by a psyhcologist.
yanknrebel
Here are some other great sites on DSI (Sensory Integration Dysfunction):
[url]http://www.tsbvi.edu/Outreach/seehear/fall97/sensory.htm[/url]
[url]http://home.iprimus.com.au/rboon/SensoryIntegration.htm[/url]
My oldest has DSI. I STRONGLY recomend the book called The Out-of-Sync Child. It was awesome in helping me to help my son.
If you are being stalled on an eval - call your school district. They will have to have it scheduled in a set length of time. Although your child's age may prevent that.
Here its Early Intervention until age 3 and then school district at 4 and above.
You definitely need an OT with specialized training in sensory. It's critical.
My son's OT kept working on his writing. He's 5, he writed beautifully for a 5 year old, but can't sit still and can't stop touching people. She's not very skilled in SI.
Our son is 29 months. I recieved paper work today that I need to fill out to get developmental assessment from UT done. Since we just adopted them, and have just received their new birth certificates, now I have to go get them a new ss# card. After that is done, then I can get their new insurance cards so that they can be seen. So not only do I have like a 3 to 6 month wait to get him in to be seen, but they won't accept the paperwork from me until I can send them a copy of the new insurance card. SO, it is a hurry up and wait thing.
yanknrebel
Advertisements
Yanknrebel,
Did your CW get you a new Tenncare card w/their new adopted name? It won't matter about the ss# being changed on it right now. They will still go by the 888#. DCS will have to change it in their system once you get their new ss cards back. At least thats what Tenncare told me. It's been 2 years today since we adopted our daughter and she still uses the original 888# that they gave her when she first came into custody.
You'' ll only need the birth cert to change their names
at the doctors office's or any other services that you still use since you've adopted them , that you used before. I know all about TIPS & TEIS if you need any help. I don't know if you take your babies to her or not, but DR. Uugorji over in your county will help you in any way she can, Thats where I take L.
psst remember I'm just next door :clap:
Lylac,
No, I have not recieved a new insurance card from anyone yet. I sure thought I would have. I just sent an email to Commissioner Miller (that will get something done) to their cw, as well as to the 2 women who work in adoption unit in Jackson.
I called UT Boling to set up an appt but was told I had to have the insurance cards with their new names. I have paprwork that I have to fill out for UT Boling, but I have to give insurance info or WE will be responsible for all the fees incurred. There is also a waiting list to get in for 3 to 6 months. SO, I have to WAIT to get the insurance card, then I have to WAIT to get the appointment.
The twins already had a new ss#. I have their Tncare cards for rx with their ss# on them. The cw got them changed early on due to the doctor visits they had to keep going to. However I would love to get them changed if possible. We had our 4 year olds social sec. # changed becuase her biomom is a safety threat and I do not want her to be able to track my daughter down . I had to take proof to the ss# office that my daughter was in danger from this woman before they would issue her a new one. They will probably tell me I have to keep same number for twins. That is ok. The reason I want to change it is because the biomom already receives disability due to her MR. The biomom has made statements to friends about how she is going to apply for ss# for the twins, even though she is no longer their legal parent. I went online and printed out new ss# application and mailed it in with proof of the twins and the adoption. I also stated on there why I wanted numbers changed and the biomom's full name, address and that she had stated she was going to apply for ss for the twins fraudulently. Hopefully they will flag her name in case she ever tries to. SHe has all 5 kids removed from her care. I know that she received some money for her first 2 daughters for a few months even though she had lost them to their bf. SO she is NOT stupid. SHe knows how to work the system, as most people that have grown up in the system know how to do.
I have heard that doctor U is a good doctor. He/She is in Covington right? I might have to swithc becuase I have not been happy with their ped. Dr. Algea in a long while.
PM me anytime,
yanknrebel
Mary