Advertisements
Advertisements
Does anyone have experience with feeding issues in a preschooler? Our foster child has what the speech therapist refers to as low mouth awareness. We are instructed to stimulate the mouth with an electric toothbrush, sour or very cold foods, crunchy or chewy foods.
The main problem is that the child either overstuffs the mouth and/or holds food in the mouth refusing to swallow. What else can I do? This is frustrating and causing stress at the dinner table. Sometimes, If I forget to check the child's mouth, hours later they will spit out food that they have been holding in their mouth.
Please share your experiences.
I'm sorry, let me apologize for not having any advice, first of all.
But my foster son has this problem, too. He hasn't been diagnosed with anything (frustratingly long process), but I think probably it's a sensory problem.
Every single mealtime, he'll stuff his mouth to the point of choking. It's a regular occurance at our table to see him turning white/pink and his eyes getting all red. He stuffs and stuffs his mouth. He also does the same thing that you're describing- keeps food in his mouth for up to HOURS after he's eaten. Gross. I often find little chewed food wads on my floor WAY after we've eaten.
When he was smaller, he had to touch his mouth to be able to chew. His older sister, who lived with us for a while (she was 2-1/2) had the same thing- she always touched her mouth while she ate.
Such an odd thing... I wish I had some advice, I'll let you know if I find anything out!
Advertisements
I have had several foster children with eating issues, but never this one. When I was a teenager a good family friend son did this. He stored food in his mouth. He looked like a chipmunk. She would make him put his fork down after each bite. If she thought he was storing, she would make him open his mouth to see. I have used the fork method to get foster kids to slow down.
My daughter does this and has been since she began eatting. She's 4 now. In her case it's an oral sensory issue on the left side of her mouth. What we have done that helps is stimulate her mouth with, like you said different tastes/textures, cold/hot, sweet/sour. also an electric toothbrush. Used different chew toys with different textures, had to be creative on this one, since she would chew up everything in a heartbeat.
We found alot of things in the doggie toy section of walmart. I know it sounds gross, but you do what you have to do.. ya know. Even her therapists were surprised and never thought to look there.
There are so many things you can try for stimulation..if indeed that is the problem.
Now for the storing food. Our daughter hasn't stopped this completely, but has slowed down alot.
We did these in this order, it takes some time getting through a meal, but it works.
#1 Don't over load their plate, just give them a few bites at a time.
#2 Remind them to chew their food (I know you already do this)
#3 After they have chewed a minute, give them a drink of liquids, that will help flush food between bites. Thats the only time they get something to drink.
#4 Praise them after each cycle of #1 thru #3
Yay!! you chewed your food like a big girl/boy
You have to make a big deal out of it. Kids will do miracles for you over and over, if they know they will get that praise everytime.
After some time they will begin to open their mouth, to show you that they have chewed & swallowed, because they are proud of themselves.
Also don't be affraid to try the sourest things, even vinegar. Our daughter would eat whole lemons and never blink. I thought ok, so she likes lemons, tried vinegar..same thing. I even bought some of those "cry baby" gumballs, she was setting there with a smile on her face while the older kids had tears rolling down their faces. LOL
In the beginning, she drooled non-stop, now she doesn't drool at all.
What has helped her may not help your lil one, it's mostly trial and error, but it doesn't hurt to try.
My occassionaly does this. He will take forever to chew and swallow. I will sometimes feed him, like you would a little one. It doesn't hurt the bonding process either.
This reply is not about the feeding issue. I was wondering if the mouth muscles or tongue are also weak? I think some people have the child blow bubbles and drink through a straw to strengthen those muscles.
Good luck to you. I am sure it is very frustrating.
Advertisements
Blowing bubbles and drinking from straws was part of our daughters therapy as well