Advertisements
Advertisements
I am in the process of becoming a single foster mom. I know that Texas does have a program to pay for childcare of working foster parents. But that is all that I have been able to find out. It feels like it is a big secret. Does anyone know about this program or who to talk to about getting the needed paperword?
I have one more training session and then my home study. I am getting exciting about becoming a foster mom but am also trying to get all the information I will need before it actually happens.
I just came across this forum this past weekend and it has been such a blessing already.
:clap:
Are you with an agency or CPS?
The agency we went through wouldn't place under school aged children unless 1 person was a stay at home person.
Advertisements
it is called NCI - it is through Texas Workforce Commision (same place for unemployment)
It is only for kids under school age. They do not pay for daycare for before and after school.
Although I do know a foster dad that is getting it for a preschooler, they stopped NCI on my FK when she started preschool, so I am paying for my 2 kids out of the subsidy. Leave much less for necessities....about half is used on daycare. If I ddint have siblings it owuld be nearly the full subsidy. (sibs get a higher subsidy)
When you get a placement simply ask your FAD worker to apply for NCI for you. Also - ask the caseworker of your child for their emergency clothing voucher at the time of placement, and be sure to ask for more every 3 months. You dont always get them but you might.
I have been a foster parent for 2 years through CPS and they have always paid my daycare. I am also a single foster mom and just recently moved one of my kids to another daycare with no problems. The only problems I have ever had have been finding a daycare with an empty spot that accepts the funds from the State.
I usually just call my worker and she takes care of it.
:woohoo:
Work with your CPS worker. Once they approve daycare costs, they work with an agency called CCMS to provide the payment. You have to find a daycare that accepts CCMS and that's the hard part. CPS usualy has a list of providers in your area. I used this to pay for summer daycare for my school age FS and we went through the YMCA. All of their locations should accept CCMS.
It appears that the CMMS guidelines have been changed and they no longer pay the full amount for Day Care on Foster Children. In our Region we only get @ $23.75 a day, close to $120 a week. When we first began fostering we were approved for full day care. Now we pay the difference.
Does anyone have new placements (Say 2006) that are getting full CCMS. I have asked everyone I can possibly ask and all they say is that it has changed. I really think this is unfair to Foster Families that Work.
Advertisements
After finally talking with someone at CCMS, I found out that I don't qualify for any daycare reimbursement from CCMS, as a teacher, my salary is too much.
My husband and I are both teachers and the CCA (CCMS) pays fully for daycare. It has for all the children we've ever had. We just let our caseworker know and she does the paperwork. No one ever asked our salary. The money for foster kids is managed by CCMS but set aside for foster kids so their are different rules to follow. We've never paid a penny for daycare for our FKs.
[FONT=Verdana]Congratulations on your decision to become a foster mom. I am also a single foster mom of a fabulous 19-month-old boy. I receive CCDS (San Antonio area) with no incident. As others have stated, just get with your worker once you have found a childcare facility for your foster child that accepts CCDS, and not to worry, many do. [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana]I too found these boards to be a great source of knowledge and comfort; especially during the period of time I spent in PRIDE and in preparation for my home study. The unknown became much less scary. [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana]Good luck on your journey, and don't forget to stop and smell the crayons! :flower: [/FONT]
mommie2b,
I can't believe that you have to pay anything for daycare!! I've never been told that in the 2 years I've had my license. I know the daycares don't get the full amount that others pay but I've never heard of a foster parent having to pay the difference.
I will call my worker and see what she says. I think that's absurd and doesn't consider that some of us have to work and just can't afford to pay for daycare too. Even if I spent all of the stipend I get each month on daycare it wouldn't be enough to cover daycare and all the other expenses that it takes to provide for the kids.
Advertisements
What does CCMS stand for? We foster school-aged children through a private agency, and we have to use our stipend to pay for daycare. It's a killer during the summer months when the kids are out of school. I have specifically asked our agency, and they said they provide no extra help for daycare and couldn't direct me to any other resources. Our kids go to after-school care and summer day camp at the YMCA, and the Y wouldn't even give us any discount.
As far as I know CCMS won't pay for school age children or after school care. I'm not sure what you could do about summers, sorry.
After 2 years I have encountered my first daycare nightmare...there is no room for my 6-month-old fs at the daycares that accept CCMS funds. And I also found out that the only time that the foster parent pays the "difference" between what the daycare charges and the State pays depends upon whether the daycare is on the LIST. I got a hold of the "List" and have made about a dozen calls with very little progress. They are all full up of CCMS funds kids... The only time you pay the difference is if that particular daycare is NOT on the list that contracts with the State.
I've never been so frustrated...I guess I've been lucky these past 2 years and haven't had to search so hard.
Almost feel like giving up being a foster parent...:grr: