Advertisements
Advertisements
I contacted my agency and asked about updating our home study. I was told that it would cost $1400 (zoinks). Does this seem really expensive (the initial HS was I think $1500) to you?
Also, for people who have updated their HS, do you have to go through the same rigamaroll (number of visits, interviews, etc.) as you did the first time? I am feeling a little discouraged. Thanks!
Our subsequent homestudy (for another placement) was a little more than half the price of the first one ($800 vice $1300). I think our agency charges just $600 for yearly updates, though.
For ours, we had to get the police/FBI, MVA and child protective clearances again and update our medical and net worth forms. We're using the same references and having 2 SW visits as opposed to three the first time.
Advertisements
Thanks, J. I can see updating criminal records, health, etc. But they were just at our house less than a year ago before DD"s finalization, so I just get frustrated sometimes that I have to pay so much money and go through all these hoops again. Frustrating!!! Thank you for your response, and good luck with your second adoption!
Really the cost of the homestudy and updates is dependant on the state you live in. We are in Colorado, and it appears to be one of the more expensive states out there (along with Cali and Nevada!)......
BUT if your initial homestudy was only $1500, that sounds like a lot. I guess the initial one would include the education (if your state has that) and the pre-paid postplacement costs, and maybe court finalization (which all three of these added $1500 to ours!!). The police clearance is one of the cheaper things here.....go figure.....Our initial HS was about 2500$ (without the above mentioned parts of it). Our update is $1500. So overall, I would assume that the update should be less than the original study........
One question. Is your update having you pay ahead for any court finalization or postplacement visits for a second child? That could add to the cost since it sounds like you are on child #2?? Just thoughts........
With each of our adoptions the agency we used INCREASED the fees, even for an update!! Needless to say, we didn't use them thae last time! In the agencies in our state, an update still means going through all the same stuff as the first time. It is really kind of silly to me, all that has changed in our lives since the last time was another child.
Our first homestudy was $2500, our 2nd was $4000!!!!!! Our 3rd was $1200. This time we are adopting through the state, it's free. :)
Deb
Deb, yeah for free! I can't believe that the second time they INCREASED the costs. It's like they have everything mapped out in the report, and will probably just have to add a section about our DD!
Rand, that is a GREAT point. I am planning on using them ONLY to do the updated homestudy and not because I plan on "signing up" with them again for the adoption. I will have to double check on that. Sorry they are so expensive where you are.
Thanks, guys! Karen
Advertisements
loveajax
I contacted my agency and asked about updating our home study. I was told that it would cost $1400 (zoinks). Does this seem really expensive (the initial HS was I think $1500) to you?
Also, for people who have updated their HS, do you have to go through the same rigamaroll (number of visits, interviews, etc.) as you did the first time? I am feeling a little discouraged. Thanks!
That does seem like alot however, I guess it depends on what is required by them in the HS update. For us, we only had one visit and for the most part, it was short, esp the first time since we hadn't been placed yet. We did have to have criminal and child welfare checks redone.
It was discouraging to me too, because it felt like at the time we were not getting anywhere and spending more $$$ to do it! However, in less than six weeks our DD was born!!!! The second time around, our SW did the interview over the phone and never even wrote it up because we were matched that week and babe born two weeks later. You just never know... hang in there and BELIEVE that you are one step closer...
This doesn't sound like an update it sounds like a whole new homestudy. You've completed your adoption with them, and are in the process of starting again, right? So basically it's back to square one. They may be able to cut you some slack and they may not be required to do everything they did the first time around because it's been so recent since your last adoption, but that depends on what the state requires.
When we moved during the middle of our adoption process we had to have a homestudy update, meaning they had to rewrite a portion of our homestudy to include the new home and we had to pay for a SW visit to check the new home (about $200). I wouldn't considered adopting a second time to be an update, it's a new homestudy, your family is new (with the addition of your DD, congrats) and your new homestudy will reflect that.
In most states a homestudy is good for one adoption. If it expires before you complete an adoption you do an UPDATE. The UPDATE should be considerably less expensive.
What you need is a NEW homestudy. Maybe they will cut you a break on the required training but that's about all you are going to get. When I called my old agency to start the process for number 3, the price was still ridiculously high and they promised to get my homework in the mail so I could get started right away.
I decided if I have to be poked and prodded all over again that I would rather it be from someone different (for a vaiety of reasons, including costs) so I will use a different agency for number 3.
Jen
our updated homestudy is free... and we hardly have to resubmit anything. i can't believe you have to pay that much! Before the study is expired, can't you switch to another agency that does not charge for an update? You might have to be charged for switching (like a "homestudy reevaluation fee) but overall it would be less expensive for you.
Advertisements