Advertisements
Advertisements
Hi.
I really need your advice please. My nieces have been put into foster care on Friday, and I just found out. I had contacted the SW months ago to let her know that I would like it to be known that we would like to considered as resources for the children, as the situation was deteriorating. Today she finally contacted me. I said what do I need to do "petition the court", "have an emergency kinship homestudy?" She said she could have an emergency homestudy done & call her tomorrow. The kids are with some distant family but I know there wasn't any homestudy done, ( they couldn't pass one) but were placed according to the mothers wishes.
Court is later this wk.
Sorry so long, but I kindly and respectfully ask "what do I do?"
I dont know what state you are in but here in FL they can not place with any family if there isnt a homestudy done, that is what the rules say however I did have it happen once that a foster child was moved to an aunt prior to the homestudy because the Judge knew the aunt's boyfriend. They do have to take the mother's wishes into consideration and where she would like the children placed, if you are sure that this distant relative is not providing a safe environment for the children then I would bring that up at the court hearing, if no one will tell you when the court hearing is scheduled then you might have to contact an attorney to enforce your rights as family.
Advertisements
Ask for the homestudy, but the most IMPORTANT thing is to go to court. Stand up with them when they call the case and speak up and tell the judge you are ready, willing and able to take the kids. In my experience the judge typically orders an "expedited" homestudy (in Texas, that means CPS has to have it done in two weeks). I have also seen where the judge will not even require a homestudy, but order placement with the relatives.
Also, when you are at court, if an attorney ad-litem is assigned get their contact information and get to know them. They are typically one of your best advocates for the child.
I would contact a family Court lawyer in your area. Explain the situation and see if you can get some help navigating the system. I've seen relatives miss out because it took so long and the foster parents would then fight to keep the children. Don't wait for them to act, call today and do what you need to.
Blessings and good luck,
Jenny
It is SO mind-boggling how different the rules are everywhere! Here they can place child in kinship care WITHOUT the homestudy - you need your criminal check and child welfare check, and then they can do everything else within 60 days. In fact, ours wasn't done for nearly 4 months.
Rules definitely vary by state and county.
Get the homestudy done - and then find out about being foster certified - so that you can get the subsidy (many locations get around paying kinship subsidy if the home isn't certified)
I would check on what clearances you need too - that paperwork can take awhile.
And I agree Go to Court! Don't be afraid to stand up - it is important
Advertisements
Thank you all.
We are definitely going to be at court. I am working on finding a lawyer. I found the service the kids are fostered thru. I am waiting for them and the CW to call back.
Thanks again. I am so glad that I have this forum, I have learned so much from all of you.
One more thing... phone calls are not always the best!!! Document in writing, email!!! Email the caseworker with your wants and needs even if it is just to "follow up" on the conversation you just had with them.