Advertisements
Advertisements
We have two verrrry large dogs. We left them outside when the SW came to do the homestudy. She knew about them. We offered for her to meet them, but she also mentioned she did not like dogs. So we lefdt them outside while she was there. It did not affect our homestudy in any way.
Advertisements
I have a large rabbit that won't stay in his cage anymore and minor social anxiety disorder I can toss aside for the sake of a child.
Would I have any problems with a home study?
I don't have a two bedroom apartment yet and my one bedroom place is a bit...
messy -_-
I remember that I had to sign something saying if I had ever received treatment in the last ten (?) years for mental illness. I had seen a shrink about 9 years before that so I put it down. It was definitely situational. Social worker never asked me about it (strange!). So it may be depending on when it happened that it would not be "asked" about...If it is, I would be honest about it also.
Syn, I am almost positive that there has to be a bedroom for the baby (i.e., you can't share a room, whether you end up sharing it or not since I can't get DD out of my room!).
Yes, I'll definetly have to get a 2 bedroom apartment then.
Maybe it will be cleaner than my one bedroom, and i'll have to figure out what to do about this rabbit. (Of course I will not get rid of him, life without Bernie would suck, but there's got to be a way to keep a toddler (When the baby does become a toddler) out of a rabbit's litter box *shudder*. Those things do sometimes look like chocolate mini eggs)
You wouldn't happen to live in my county, would you Sari? ;)
Just kidding.
It's just that my HS worker definitely put in her own personal opinions into my homestudy.
The homestudy, before amending, basically was written out as we had a clean and well maintained home, but the cat urine smell was overwhelming (of which, it never was, even our SW told us that) and even after removing the carpet and adopting out 4 of our precious kitties, she STILL held onto the cat urine statements in the homestudy, as if she could still smell it (our SW and her supervisor came out the day before and said it was completely gone...and the supervisor had never been to our home), and now, it has caused yet another minute delay as we are waiting to finalize the adoption.
You will get HS workers like this. You do have the right to ask your own SW if this is the only worker you can have...and ask what their policy is on items that are circumstancial and really shouldn't be in the HS.
Yeah, my house did smell like cat pee some. However, it was because I was living in with my grandma 24/7 at her house, and my house, quite frankly, doesn't clean itself when you're gone.
It was basically a "cat house" for 11 months.
Is it like this now? Absolutely NOT! Will it ever be again? I HOPE not. I don't have any plans of 24/7 care of anyone in my family any time soon...once was enough.
Now the judge has read this comment from our SW, he's fine with the adoption, now we're just waiting on the date to finalize.
Sari
Gosh I let a lot of time pass before replying! I did want to thank all of you for replying. It really has made me feel better. If anyone else has personal experience with this, please post!
I don't know if it matters, but we'll be getting our homestudy through the county, as we're probably adopting thru foster care. I think the lady who will do it has already made comments like she doesn't like pets, or no pets in the house, something like that, so I'm not really sure how this will turn out. I guess all I can do is cover my bases - everyone is vaccinated, need to get them licensed though, and make sure no litter box smell!
Advertisements
If the funds permit, it is better to hire a designer. He will make several variants of the design project, then you choose the one you like and the designer will work it out in detail. Either think for yourself what and where will be, make drawings and then control the builders on them. available here