Advertisements
Advertisements
Hi everyone, I looked to see if there were any old posts about this but I couldn't find one.
Here is my question. I'm sure there are people on this board who have had good experiences with both paid agencies and not for profit agencies.
But overall, what is the difference that makes one agency charge 25,000 or more and another which is not for profit?
Why do birthmother's choose one agency and not another? Is it convenience? Word of Mouth? Do these agencies recruit pregnant women? Obviously we would rather spend less money but there must be some difference?
Thanks. We are going to change our plan and go with an agency.
:coffee: G.
Don't let the cost fool you - not all Non-Profits are less expensive.
The Non-Profit agency I used to place 10 (almost 11) years ago charged my daughters parents of $40,000 for their non-contested, no-birthparent expenses, no medical expenses, no previous failed placements adoption.
Non-profit doesn't always mean fewer fees. Non-Profit also doesn't mean that they do more counseling/services (I had none).
You really should research all agencies, the services they offer both adopting parents and expectant parents and the what they use your fees for.
I called a number of agencies - I ended up using the one I did because they were willing to travel to where I was at to talk to me about what I would be required to do, rather than have me travel to them. I just went through the phone book.
Advertisements
BrandyHagz
You really should research all agencies, the services they offer both adopting parents and expectant parents and the what they use your fees for.
Start with the Better Business Bureau report and then start asking everyone you know if they know anything about them. :)
then start asking everyone you know if they know anything about them.
I second that - and don't stop at just adopting parents...also ask any birthparents...they can tell you how they were treated and how it was working with them.
Stormster
Hi everyone, I looked to see if there were any old posts about this but I couldn't find one.
Here is my question. I'm sure there are people on this board who have had good experiences with both paid agencies and not for profit agencies.
But overall, what is the difference that makes one agency charge 25,000 or more and another which is not for profit?
Disclaimer: I'm on the BOD of an agency.
Most agencies are 501 (c)(3) nonprofits. Non profit does not mean the agency doesn't make any money. What it means is that the money they make is re-invested in the community, typically through activities related to their stated 'mission'.
Differences in fees can have many roots: Where the agency is located. How much staff they have and what benefits they offer their staff. Licensing requirements in their state. Whether they are multi-state. Whether they are a licensed child-placing (as opposed to homestudy only) agency. What kinds of community activites they fund. What services they provide.
Any reputable agency will provide you with a detailed, itemized fee schedule. Any reputable agency will also provide you with copies of their state and federal filings showing their activities, revenue and expenses. These are all publicly available.
Stormster
Why do birthmother's choose one agency and not another? Is it convenience? Word of Mouth? Do these agencies recruit pregnant women? Obviously we would rather spend less money but there must be some difference?
All of the above, as well as just a comfort level. Expectant parents are just like prospective adoptive parents in that they've got to feel some level of comfort and trust in an agency to work with them.
Do not equate price = success or speed in placement, as there is no direct correlation there. I've seen 'low cost' agencies have better success rates than 'large' agencies. There are agencies who advertise directly to expectant parents and yes, that contributes to your cost as those 'marketing' or 'outreach' expenses have to be paid by somebody.
We found our agency through word of mouth though - asked our OB/GYN, priest at our church (and he didn't recommend the church affiliated agency over this one, amazingly...), friends, neighbors, and an attorney we knew who did adoptions. We interviewed them and three others, and, well, we just really felt most comfortable with them. That is important during this highly stressful, emotional time.
Important questions to ask all agencies:
1. How many years have you been working in domestic parental placement adoption in this state?
2. How many domestic parental placement adoptions have families completed through you in the past year? Three years?
3. How many of these were agency-placed and how many were direct placements?
4. How many direct placements did you assist in making the connection for?
5. What happens if we need help after hours? Weekends?
6. What counseling services are available to us? Expectant parents? Do you have a support group?
7. May I see a copy of your license and last inspection report?
8. What are your thoughts about openness in adoption?
9. Why do prospective parents typically choose your agency?
CALL the licensing bureau and the BBB on EVERY agency you visit no matter how much you like them and verify that they are licensed, in good standing, and what, if any, complaints or violations they have had in the past 5 years.
Best,
Regina
BrandyHagz
I second that - and don't stop at just adopting parents...also ask any birthparents...they can tell you how they were treated and how it was working with them.
I agree. The amount of support that a birthparent received before & after adoption was really important to me. I wanted an agency that didn't pressure expectant moms into placing their baby.
Advertisements
All agencies placing chidlren HAVE to be non-profits because making a profit on the placement of children is illegal. As others have said just becaues the fees are high does not mean that they are turning a profit. There are very high expenses involved in adoptions and agencies pay them whether or on an expectant family places or not. Also some agencies that are associated with organizations like religious organizations often have many of their expenses sponsored or defered by the larger organization. They tend to have lower fees but also only offer services to members of that organization or set limits on the kinds of families that they will service. I know of some phenominal agencies with very high fees and some really crappy ones with low or no fees. You really need to research more then the fee.
lisa
Kat-L
I agree. The amount of support that a birthparent received before & after adoption was really important to me. I wanted an agency that didn't pressure expectant moms into placing their baby.
Not all parents think like this but I wish more did. I've received quite a few rude replies when I've responded to the agency PM thread with how our agency treated me as well as information on how J&D were mistreated (financially and emotionally).
Google, google, google. Search through blogs. While we can't state agency discussion in threads here, people post "reviews" on their blogs, discuss agency workings in detail and even have full internet groups dedicated to their promotion or downfall.
The internet is your tool. Use it! :)
I know the focus is on the beginning of the adoption process, as it should be, but making inquiry as to an agency's long-term history and outlook might also go on the research list-the entire process, from counseling for the PB-mother through a possible reunion, could take the better part of 25 to 50 years. Even if an agency has continuity in terms of its existence, post-adoption services can be high on the target list when the budget turns spartan. Over the years, my agency's quoted response time for post-adoptive services, re search or info. access, has ranged from weeks to years, depending on resources available. Even though there are far fewer closed arrangements these days, the above is still likely a consideration.
Just an adult adoptee's $.02.
Jessica
Advertisements