Advertisements
Advertisements
Hi there!
My name is Jennie and my husband and I have been trying to adopt through LDSFS for the last year and a half. We have one failed placement and one potential placement right now that we're really excited about. :cheer: She's got us on firm hold; we're just worried she'll change her mind. Our birthmom is over a week overdue and we are waiting like crazy people across the country to hear that she's gone into labor, so we can fly out. The short version of our story is that we lost one premature baby girl after 9 days and have had 6 miscarriages. We have a fabulous, funny, and very sensitive 5 year old son. :rockband:
What I'm wondering about now is what I can do to prepare our little champ for a new baby. He's already been hyper-sensitive, which I think is coming from our anxiety and the fact that every other time we've told him he was going to have a sibling, we've been wrong.:o
When did you tell older kids of a new sibling on the way? How did their behavior change after the new kid came home? Any helpful hints for us? Thanks a bunch!
Jennie
trying to stay positive :flowergift: and wait patiently.:fish:
I didnt tell my kids about the adoption until we brought the baby home. it was fine. they were excited and acepting even though they didnt have any prep time. i never told them about the failed adoptions. it was better that way. protect his heart, even though you are excited. when the baby comes home you can have him help you by getting diapers, wipes, clothes. my little ones were always in charge of washing the baby, sometimes they were in the tub too. they can read a story to the baby and put on her socks. draw a picture to decorate the babys room or for the baby to look at in her crib. we had a welcome baby party once with balloons & a cake. i always let the sibs unwrap any presents for the baby.
it might be hard when the baby comes home, it might not. he might revert back to babyhood, wanting a bottle or pacifier. you can either let him try the formula - he wont like it, or tell him hes the big brother and its only for babies. oh yeah, we decorate tshirts that say big brother little brother. let him have some markers and go at it.
Advertisements
Those were some great tips! Thanks a bunch. Anything involving markers will be loved by our son. :banana:
It looks like we'll be gone over Christmas to get the baby. How would you explain that?
Jennie
waiting...waiting...waiting...:fish:
I was so worried our pbm would go into labor before Christmas. not that i wouldnt welcome a Christmas baby, but that is just 1 morning i can't miss with my kids. but once i got up on Christmas morning i knew we would be fine. she has still not gone into labor, not due until jan 31st, but has always gone early. so we'll see. let me know how it all goes and I will blow some baby dust your way!