Advertisements
Advertisements
We just adopted Adam, he was 3.4 years old. I agree with Crispex with all her pros and cons. I would adopt at this age again in a heart beat. Yes, you miss alot of the "firsts", but you will also see alot of "firsts" too.
I also got a sense that he was aware of what was happening. I was told after trip 1 that he wouldn't go outside with his group since he heard that a mamma and pappa were coming, thinking it was us, but is was another couple coming to get their child.
Also keep in mind a 3 1/2 year old adopted from Russia isn't like a 3 1/2 year old raised in America. My friend's daugher who is 3 months younger then Adam is much more advance then he is. She was adopted at age 11 months from Russia.
I had a similar experience like you when we adopted Joshua. It was our final day on our first trip and as I was leaving the baby house this little girl who had to be around 3 came running up to me calling me Mamma. The caregivers had to pry her off me and we apologizing to me. It broke my heart. I have always wondered what ever happened to her.