Advertisements
Advertisements
Hi everyone! Welcome to the newest addition to the Adoption.com Forums, Local Adoption Connections.
Please take a minute to tell us a little about yourself. Are you married? Do you have Children, if so, what are their ages? Share with us some of your favorite things about living in this area. Whats your favorite restaurant? Do you belong to any Adoption Support Groups in your area? Help us all get to know you better and start making local friends with like interests!
My name is Deborah. I am an adoptee and my adoption was arranged before I was born. I know my birth mother's name and the state and region where she lives (Iowa), but haven't been able to locate her. I'm OK with that. Reunion isn't always the best thing.
I've lived in Spokane for 31 years, have a grown daughter (not adopted) and a grandson (also not adopted). I have a brother who is a year younger than me, also adopted, different birthmom. His birthmother lives in Spokane (how wild is that?) He lives in Alaska. They have had reunion and it's gone pretty well. I also have met his birthmom. Both of my adoptive parents have passed away. They were both pretty open about the adoption thing and always hoped that my brother and I would someday locate our birthmothers.
I am not married - I've had two divorces and several relationships that didn't work out. Intimacy has not been my strong point. I'm discovering why now, with this new adoption information. I have six four legged adoptees right now, five cats and a dog. And I have numerous tropical fish adoptees. Luckily, they don't have issues, except that they all want me when they want me (except for maybe the fish).
I just found the adoption forums over a week ago. I realized that I did have some issues to deal with. I've appreciated reading the feedback of others. It has helped me identify and sort out feelings I've had for a long time. I've also purchased the two Verrier books. I'm reading the second one first (Coming Home To Self) because the first one hasn't arrived yet. It explains SO MUCH and I feel relief - I'm on the mend.
So I have lots of favorite restaurants, I don't have a VERY FAVORITE. Though I strive to eat healthy, my very favorite food is grilled steak (comfort food) along with a good green salad and some garlic bread. I like restaurants where I can sit outdoors and eat.
Things I like to do in Spokane are walk my dog, practice yoga (I'm active in a terrific yoga community here). I also like to garden, and have a nice sized yard that needs my attention. Crossword puzzles are definitely a stress buster for me, as is playing this great computer game called "Hammerheads". You hammer the heads of garden gnomes and explode them, winning points. It's quite addictive and definitely a stress buster.
I'm wondering if belonging to a Spokane based support group would help me in my current process. I've talked some of my issue over with my yoga community in our reflection classes. Though they care a great deal, there are some things they don't "get", and I have sat by patiently more than once as they've reminded me who my "real parents" are. I know they mean well.
This is kind of a long introduction. I know another adoptee in town, perhaps more if I think about it. If the time seems right I will mention what I am exploring with them. Perhaps they also might be interested. Namaste.
Advertisements
autumnleaves
My name is Deborah. I am an adoptee and my adoption was arranged before I was born. I know my birth mother's name and the state and region where she lives (Iowa), but haven't been able to locate her. I'm OK with that. Reunion isn't always the best thing.
I've lived in Spokane for 31 years, have a grown daughter (not adopted) and a grandson (also not adopted). I have a brother who is a year younger than me, also adopted, different birthmom. His birthmother lives in Spokane (how wild is that?) He lives in Alaska. They have had reunion and it's gone pretty well. I also have met his birthmom. Both of my adoptive parents have passed away. They were both pretty open about the adoption thing and always hoped that my brother and I would someday locate our birthmothers.
I am not married - I've had two divorces and several relationships that didn't work out. Intimacy has not been my strong point. I'm discovering why now, with this new adoption information. I have six four legged adoptees right now, five cats and a dog. And I have numerous tropical fish adoptees. Luckily, they don't have issues, except that they all want me when they want me (except for maybe the fish).
I just found the adoption forums over a week ago. I realized that I did have some issues to deal with. I've appreciated reading the feedback of others. It has helped me identify and sort out feelings I've had for a long time. I've also purchased the two Verrier books. I'm reading the second one first (Coming Home To Self) because the first one hasn't arrived yet. It explains SO MUCH and I feel relief - I'm on the mend.
So I have lots of favorite restaurants, I don't have a VERY FAVORITE. Though I strive to eat healthy, my very favorite food is grilled steak (comfort food) along with a good green salad and some garlic bread. I like restaurants where I can sit outdoors and eat.
Things I like to do in Spokane are walk my dog, practice yoga (I'm active in a terrific yoga community here). I also like to garden, and have a nice sized yard that needs my attention. Crossword puzzles are definitely a stress buster for me, as is playing this great computer game called "Hammerheads". You hammer the heads of garden gnomes and explode them, winning points. It's quite addictive and definitely a stress buster.
I'm wondering if belonging to a Spokane based support group would help me in my current process. I've talked some of my issue over with my yoga community in our reflection classes. Though they care a great deal, there are some things they don't "get", and I have sat by patiently more than once as they've reminded me who my "real parents" are. I know they mean well.
This is kind of a long introduction. I know another adoptee in town, perhaps more if I think about it. If the time seems right I will mention what I am exploring with them. Perhaps they also might be interested. Namaste.
I really liked your story. I look at things as if it we're meant to be it will happen. My husband is 31 I'm 34 we just got are adoption done with A precious little girl. A re little girl has some disabilities from the birth mother. We go to Spokane where her Dr. is. Ihope we can keep in touch u sound very nice. My husband and I struggle on how we will tell our little girl when shae gets older that we adopted her. We will not be negative about it but she had A very rough first year before we got her. I just pretty much took her and fought not to give her back.Finally the bio mom, called and said will u adopt her? We said yes, we are not giving her back. Well, maybe we can keep in touch send each other e mails if u want. From:Shannon. If u want u can e mail me at nannon420@hotmail.com