Advertisements
Advertisements
My fost/adopt daughter's birth mom hasn't named a birth dad. TPR is scheduled for May. What do they do in the case of the birth dad?
I've heard something about the SW posting notices for the birth dad. What are these notices? What do they say? Where are they placed? How far in advance of the TPR hearing is this done? Does the judge terminate both birth mom's and birth dad's rights at the same time?
Oh yeah, I live in CA.
Thanks,
Yash
In the case of one of our children they put an ad in the local paper and also they put it in a book called who's who among Fathers.. So because he had never came forward they terminated his right and let our child be adopted.. That was the plan of the mother... I hope this helps.. Good Luck
Advertisements
Hi, this is my first post.
Our son also has an unknown bio father. This is the ad that was run in the paper. As far as I know, that is the only thing the agency did to locate him.
[URL="http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y75/101494/timothy/timsad2.jpg"]Legal Ad[/URL]
We too had the situation of unknown birthfather. Our Bmom wrote and signed an affidavit stating the circumstances around becoming pregnant and didn't know who the bfather was - ergo there wasn't anyone to really contact. The court accepted this document and terminated the unknown bfather's rights before our finalization. It really does depend on the circumstances - meaning that if the bfather is known, then the ads go into papers in areas that the bfather can reasonable be expected to see/read.
what happens in this case is the judge determines that thereis no other person entitled to notice of adoption other than birthmom, and the tpr goes forward. I am a adoptive mom same circumstance and also a supervisor for the administration for children services. so you have nothing to worry about some states may list it in a newspaper but it will be under "john Doe" if they do so.
My daughter's birthmom named a dad but no one was able to verify that he existed, so they did the dilligent search and when it came time for tpr, they tpr'd the named dad as well as "potential unknown father." there were even attorney's present for both potential fathers.
Advertisements
Our daughter's birth father was named, but was never verified to be a legitimate person. In AZ, they have to do a publication in a local newspaper that asks if this person, and John Doe, has had relations with the birth mom on, or about, the date of conception. Then, after the publication runs for a specified period of time, a publication hearing is held. At the hearing, they determine whether or not the birth father responds or shows up to court. If not, as in our daughter's case, then then can move toward the TPR hearing.
In AZ, this is a mandatory process prior to the TPR. It seemed like it took forever for us to wait for this process to be completed.
They named the alleged birth father, as well as John Doe, so that there was no chance of anyone coming back after the fact to claim parentage. Then at the TPR hearing, they not only named the birth father for the severance, they also stated John Doe to cover all the bases
They do a do dilligence search.
I am curious. What exactly is done in a dilligent search? How much is the mother required to reveal about where she got pregant to help this search? Can she simply say she doesnt remember and that is the end of it? Is she forced to construct a timeline under oath where she was approximately 9 months ago if she doesnt remember? Is she subject to a lie detector test? To prevent a real search, could a mother simply name a father who isnt the real father but a friend of hers and then simply not have him come forward? Are there any penalties or is she in legal liability if she lies?
In WA where there is not a father listed on the BC, they list any "named", or "alleged" father or John Doe. They submit a publis announcement to the local paper informing "anyone who has an interest in the child XXX born on XXX is invited to attend a hearing where termination of parental rights will be determined."
[URL="http://my.adoption.com/DavidKed"]DavidKed[/URL] [URL="http://forums.adoption.com/images/adoption/statusicon/user_offline.gif"]-[/URL] Banned
Wow - this guy got banned for standing up for father's rights on an adoption forum? Reading his posts, language was always proper, arguments reasoned - but his positions weren't the usual touchy-feely everyone's wonderful saccharine-type.
Are we going to admit that we're so frail we can't face remarks from the father's side? Is that what adoption is about - fit into the warm-fuzzy mould or shut up? I read recently that in the majority of cases it is women who drive the movement - but if this is how men's opinions are treated in the adoption arena when they don't conform to the mould, no wonder many want only peripheral involvement. This can't be good for the kids. We often read complaints about fathers - adoptive or natural - not being more involved with their kids. Maybe they're driven away.
Advertisements
ab_gonna_adopt,
Clearly, you don't know the moderators or the forum - since you're new.
If someone has posted something that would get them banned, it violates our Terms of Service - and that post would be removed.
We give members many chances to follow our rules - but when they don't, we have to step in and take action.
Sorry you've misunderstood the situation - but it might be a good idea to PM a moderator when you have questions such as this - rather than making incorrect assumptions.
Sorry this took so long, but thank you to everyone who replied to my post. I have a much clearer idea of how things will proceed.
Um, I have to say that I hope that a newspaper isn't the only way an agency contacts a father. I don't read newspapers often and when I do, I definitely don't read the legal notices.
Of course, my love life is virtually nonexistent....(um, I wish it was virtually, that would be an improvement)...so I don't have to worry about it anyway, but I don't know many who read that section of the paper. Most guys I know read the news, sports, and comics and little else.
David
Advertisements
Dhewco, usually other efforts are/have been made. The paper is kind of a last resort, 'we don't have a current address', 'no one will tell us if they know where this guy is', kind of deal. This includes registered letters to last known address, phone calls, contact with parole or probation officers (if applicable), checking to see if the guy might be in jail, etc. Sadly, moms and dads sometimes get scared and run away due to a variety of issues. Some have reason to not wish to be found in case they are incarcerated for an outstanding warrant, or other personal reasons. Pretty much this is for guys (or gals, as the case may be) who might be a party but are un-named, or for guys they know the names of but don't have any other way to contact. It covers the legal obligation of making the best attempt to contact any person who might be involved in the case.
I have an interesting question…
With the growing movement towards the Internet and the eventual demise of the newspaper as we know it, where will these notices get posted?
I had a few ideas…
A national website called… “Who’s The Daddy" dot com
A weekly television broadcast on PBS “Finding Father”
Or “Wanted, this child’s father” posted at the Post Offices.
(Of course, I do know that the notices would just be put on the newspaper’s websites. I just couldn’t resist the opportunity to play.)