Advertisements
Advertisements
I am looking for any information on how to do a Step-parent adoption in the State of Louisiana without an attorney.
I have contacted both Juvenile Services, and the Clerk of Court Offices in Baton Rouge, LA. I was told that they have never seen a Step-parent adoption without going through an attorney.
Please help.
bhampton225@cox.net
[url=http://dss.louisiana.gov/departments/ocs/Adoption_Petition_Services.html]Louisiana Department of Social Services[/url]
[URL="http://stepparent.adoptionblogs.com"]http://stepparent.adoptionblogs.com[/URL]
Advertisements
Found the forms needed at local library!!!
Thanks for responding to my post. I took your advice, but I was still not able to find the help I needed. After making several calls to attys. in my city, and being told that I it would cost me anywhere from$1200 - $1500 for a Step-parent adoption (uncontested); I finally spoke to a very nice paralegal who told me to go to the local libary and look for the forms under the Louisiana Childrens's Code Article 1243(Intrafamily Adoptions), and that I could file the forms myself without an atty. I went to the library and told the librarian about the forms that I was looking for and she took me straight to the book. I copied the forms, they are fill in the blank type forms. So I have re-typed them with all of our names and info. I have contacted Dept of Social Services and found the name of the person who is in charge of reviewing the Adoption Petitions for our Judical Services. She has agreeded to review the forms once I get them signed and notified to make sure there are no errors before I go to file them with Clerk of Court's office. The Clerk of Court charges a $250 file fee. We will sign the papers this weekend and I will file them by next week. If anyone else needs the Step-parent Adoption Forms in Louisiana; go to your local library and ask for this information:
West Group Practice Series
Louisiana Civil Practice Forms 3rd Edition
Author(s): Susan B. Kohn and Denise M. Pilie
Then look in the book for: Intrafamily Adoptions
The forms for the Intrafamily Adoption is in this book as well as the Release to adoption by birth parent.
Try to contact someone at Dept of Social Services to review your forms once you have retyped them with your information before filing with Clerk of Court, because the Clerk of Court's office charges a $250 fee, and if there is 1 error, you will have to correct it and refile forms again for another $250 fee.
Thank you.
Hi I just came across your post and after years of getting the run around and attorneys down to the next one wanting to charge me outrageous money. I'm very, very hopeful I'm going at 8:00 a.m. tomorrow morning at my local library and seeing about this. I as well reside in Louisiana. I hate to pry but but you finally get to adopt your son/daughter by using this method? Thank you again for sharing your knowledge with people like me who are absolutely devastated by the laws and all the crap you have to go through not counting all the money we have wasted for nothing. I will definitely let y'all know how it works out. Thanks again God Bless
Found the forms needed at local library!!!
Thanks for responding to my post. I took your advice, but I was still not able to find the help I needed. After making several calls to attys. in my city, and being told that I it would cost me anywhere from$1200 - $1500 for a Step-parent adoption (uncontested); I finally spoke to a very nice paralegal who told me to go to the local libary and look for the forms under the Louisiana Childrens's Code Article 1243(Intrafamily Adoptions), and that I could file the forms myself without an atty. I went to the library and told the librarian about the forms that I was looking for and she took me straight to the book. I copied the forms, they are fill in the blank type forms. So I have re-typed them with all of our names and info. I have contacted Dept of Social Services and found the name of the person who is in charge of reviewing the Adoption Petitions for our Judical Services. She has agreeded to review the forms once I get them signed and notified to make sure there are no errors before I go to file them with Clerk of Court's office. The Clerk of Court charges a $250 file fee. We will sign the papers this weekend and I will file them by next week. If anyone else needs the Step-parent Adoption Forms in Louisiana; go to your local library and ask for this information:
West Group Practice Series
Louisiana Civil Practice Forms 3rd Edition
Author(s): Susan B. Kohn and Denise M. Pilie
Then look in the book for: Intrafamily Adoptions
The forms for the Intrafamily Adoption is in this book as well as the Release to adoption by birth parent.
Try to contact someone at Dept of Social Services to review your forms once you have retyped them with your information before filing with Clerk of Court, because the Clerk of Court's office charges a $250 fee, and if there is 1 error, you will have to correct it and refile forms again for another $250 fee.
Thank you.