Advertisements
Advertisements
Viewing Single Post
Thread: Ad Litem
Hmm. I wanted to comment on the Home Study issue. We just had the bf sign and notarize his TPR and waiver of process recently. After doing so we filed our petition to terminate+adopt in Travis County with the district clerk and they required us to pay for an investigation fee (the Home Study is included in a $753 total filing fee). Actually we didn't get to speak to a judge beforehand about the Home Study. The district clerks office told us that it didn't matter; it would be required even though I'm the step-father. So, I guess in some counties or with some courts it is very uncommon to not require a Home Study. Actually, the woman at the district clerks office in Travis County said it would absolutely be required (no matter how long I have been raising the child or how long I have been the step-father). I was very surprised too because after reading a lot on the topic I was under the impression that in Texas it was up to the judge in a step-parent adoption. <shrug> Guess not. Oh well. Anyway, we are in the home study process at the moment. We have to fill out the large packet of information they sent and then we have to wait on an appointment with the investigator.
I wouldn't worry too much about a Home Study (particularly with regard to a step-parent adoption). If money isn't an issue then don't worry about the actual Home Study itself or the application not being "picture perfect". These social workers are not out witch hunting. They are just trying to make sure your child is in a safe and stable environment. Obvisouly in most cases where there is a step-parent wanting to adopt and a b-parent who has relinquished rights the child is in an indescribably better situation.