Advertisements
Advertisements
This is my first post, and I am not sure I am doing this right, so we'll see. We are adopting a baby thru a private adoption. The baby is due in July. Does anyone know if we have to have a homestudy done and completed before we bring the baby home from the hospital? We have contacted an attorney and he is taking care of the "power of attorney" also known as "entrustment agreement" paperwork for us. Social services says the homestudy would be done after the baby is brought home, lawyer says he thinks it needs to be done before. I need to make sure we do this right, and time is crucial, being as we have only 12 weeks before the due date. Any advise would be greatly appreiciated. I also have been trying to find a forum for "private adoption" any out here? Thank you!:coffee:
Countrygirl, let me start by saying Congratulations! Adoption is a fulfilling process but can also be very taxing to your patience. To answer your question...yes, you have to have it done prior to bringing your child home. With social services they may be able to do something different. In our case, we had 3 weeks to get it done. It was expensive and difficult but doable. We have already adopted one child and are in the middle of another. Greatest of wishes to you.
Advertisements
Dad of adopted children,
Thanks for your information! You were the only one to respond in over 3 years, ha ha! In the meantime, 3 months after I posted we brought our precious newborn baby girl home from the hospital! We did not, I repeat, did not have the home study done beforehand! All we needed was the entrustment agreement. We had our homestudy completed long after she was here. I am guessing that private adoptions differ from agency adoptions, in the way paperwork needs to be handled and with different time restrictions. Our adopted daughter will be turning 4 this July. Time flies.
Our homestudy was very inexpensive, but it took Social Services very long to get the ball rolling. Once we got started, it didn't take very long. We paid less than $100 to have it done. Well, that was for court costs, the homestudy was free thru Social Services. I guess you can say we were blessed to become parents thru private adoption. We had mentioned to a few people that we were thinking of adoption, and a year later our phone rang with someone asking us if we were still interested in adopting! We were not signed on with any agencies, just had mentioned adoption to a few people. Never spent any time looking, God just had a plan for all of us I suppose! I still tell some people that we adopted our daughter, I can't help but share the news of the best gift I have ever received!
I hope everything goes smoothly with your second adoption! Enjoy your family! I will never forget what one lady told me, "It's all about the children!"
God Bless :wings:
My daughter is also doing a private adoption. The county she lives in does not do home studies so she is having a difficult time. I hope she can find a reasonably cost home study! God Bless and so glad all has worked out for your family!