Advertisements
Advertisements
My Review
I hadn't been to see a regular Disney movie in ages, not since Cars and cars doesn't count because it's Pixar.
It wasn't a bad movie. It actually had a very positive message about moving forward, and not focusing so much on the past that you become bitter and ruin your life.
It was sad and funny at the same time. It was sad the way one of the couples didn't except Louis the way he was and instead wanted a boy who played sports. Louis was a cool kid who was smart and clever, but just needed a bit of confidence.
Most of the movie was about him LEARNING confidence and how to believe in himself. It was especially nice when he met the Robinsons, who were weird and awesome and praised him when he failed, telling him that failing was a big help and that you shouldn't be afraid of it because it can help you learn and get better. I liked the way the accepted him and wanted to adopt him until they realized how bad that would be for the space time continuum and all of that jazz.
This movie will probably be a bit disapointing to some people, it's just that you cannot really put the details of the triad in a movie like this which is mostly targeted at children and would have things they do not understand. I like how the woman at the orpanage told Louis that he didn't really know the whole story and that prehaps his birthmother just couldn't take care of him, and he said, he had never thought of that.
I reckon it would have been depressingly difficult to track her down, and if he had met her face to face, prehaps his future as it was would have unraveled, I do not know, it is a movie, and most movies on these topics are imperfect and someone is bond to find something about them frustrating. I doubt they'd have a movie where the older child tests and initially rejects their adoptive parent's rules instead of just settling neatly into the family because the reality of things is so much more frustrating and heartrenching than movie versions.
The best things about the movie were, Louis learning to believe in himself, his friend learning the importance of not harping on a past failure so much that you don't have time to live your life and the acceptence, warmth and cheerful insanity of the Robinsons.
Things in real life are not that ideal, but it's a movie.
Also the really small hat was so cute. And the Dinosaur. And the fact that one of the women had this HUGE TRAIN! I want a huge train, that would be so cool, and also the UFO and robot.
And I am ashamed to admit the ending made my eyes get a bit wet.
Also, here's a couple of unrelated but adoption themed things.
Darkwing Duck and Wise Child. One deals with a single
father/super hero and is available on DVD, the other deals with a
Scottish Village in the past where a single mother adopts an older
child and teachers her about the value of things. I like that book
until the last few annoying chapters that are not annoying because
the book is bad, but because of those villagers!
Also, the only thing is there's a part in it that seriously creeped me out. Kids are a bit less sensitive these days, some, but man, it was a bit intense...