Advertisements
Advertisements
Hi,
We are in the process of adopting a 3 year old girl from Brazil using an agency. CEJA has had our paperwork for 2 weeks. We were told it could take up to 8 weeks for approval. Can anyone who has completed their adoption or know someone who has completed their process tell me how long CEJA took to approve them? We are anxious to go get our little girl!! Any info would be helpful.
Thanks
mhglas:dance:
mom to 2 Guatemala angels and 1 Brazilian angel (soon!)
I brought my kids home from Brazil in Jan. My dossier was in CEJA in June and I was approved in October. They meet once a month so if there is something extra that is requested by CEJA your dossier isn't reviewed again until the next month. I think 2 months is a pretty short time for approval but I know it does happen.
Lisa
Advertisements
LisaF
I brought my kids home from Brazil in Jan. My dossier was in CEJA in June and I was approved in October. They meet once a month so if there is something extra that is requested by CEJA your dossier isn't reviewed again until the next month. I think 2 months is a pretty short time for approval but I know it does happen.
Lisa
Hi Lisa,
thanks for your answer to marsha. I am also in the same situation. We just completed our homestudy and getting ready to start the process in Brazil. would you please tell me why it took from October to Jan to bring the children home.
Also we're still looking for a lawyer overthere, if you still remember their names could you forward that to me as well. I would really appreciate it .
thanks, and GOd Bless,
LisaF
Lisa
Hi Lisa,
thanks for your answer to marsha. I am also in the same situation. We just completed our homestudy and getting ready to start the process in Brazil. would you please tell me why it took from October to Jan to bring the children home.
Also we're still looking for a lawyer overthere, if you still remember their names could you forward that to me as well. I would really appreciate it .
thanks, and GOd Bless,
Are you guys using an agency or doing this independently?
Thanks so much and best of luck to you.
Boa Sorte para todos!
I am just today seeing the posts from June so bear with me if your questions have already been answered. The reasons it took from October to Jan are these....1) I had to wait for a referral. I got my referral in the middle of November. The wait for a referral can be much longer if you are specific on your requirements for a child (for instance, a single girl under the age of 6). It is much shorter for older siblings. My kids were 7 and 10 at the time of my referral. 2) After you accept your referral, your dossier and the childs profile is sent to the judge that has jurisdiction over your childs case. He/she then has to approve of the match and give the OK for you to come to Brazil to start the "bonding period" required. Sometimes this is quick and sometimes it takes a long time. It just depends on the judge. 3) You are required to stay in Brazil for at least 31 days as a bonding period. During this time you and the child have visits from a social worker at least once a week and go before the judge (if asked) to make sure the bonding period is going well and the child is a good match for your family. 4) At the end of the 31 days the judge has to approve your adoption and you are done on the Brazilian side. You then have to get a new birth certificate, passport and U.S. Visa for your child to enter the U.S. This takes at least 4-5 days. Your child will come to the U.S. as a citizen because the adoption was completed after you saw the child.
I accepted my referral the first of November, was approved for bonding to start at the end of November and met the kids Nov 28. My adoption was approved on December 29 and I left Brazil Jan 8 to come home.
Hope this helps. You are welcome to PM me if you have any more questions. I worked with an agency in the U.S. My experience was amazingly easy and went very smoothly. I had previously adopted from Guatemala and this adoption was much easier.
Lisa
Advertisements
Hi Lisa,
Would you send me a PM on which agency you used and what were the agency costs? I was thinking about doing it independently but your review is so positive it is making me wonder...
Thanks,