Advertisements
Advertisements
Okay, ped just called. Cameron's blood work results cam eback and he is borderline anemic. Not enough to actually do anything yet, but she said to feed lots of iron rich foods and we will retest at 12 months. Cameron gets at least 30 ounces of iron fortified formula each day. What baby foods should we feed him that are very rich in iron? I know meats, but I don't think he should get meat at every meal. Are certain fruits or veggies higher in iron? Dh took the call so I was not able to ask my million and a half questions and have a freak out on the phone...
Thanks!
I think Cream of Wheat has extra iron...and it's yummy too. Peanut Butter, but I'm not sure how you would serve it...maybe spread it super thin on a cracker? Cornflakes are also high in iron. Maybe some of the others will come along with more suggestions. Hope it works itself out before his 12 month check up.
Advertisements
Marci: Try some of these things, all of which can be pureed and thinned w/ formula, water, or broth if necessary:
[LIST]
[*]lean red meats, including beef, pork, lamb
[*]beans, including kidney, lima, navy, black, pinto, soy beans, and lentils
[*]iron fortified whole grains, including cereals, breads, rice, and pasta
[*]tofu
[*]broccoli, swiss chard, asparagus, parsley, watercress, brussel sprouts
[*]chicken and turkey
[*]egg yolks (it's the whites that are allergens, so the yolks are OK to give under 1 year)
[*]dried fruits, such as prunes, raisins, dates and apricots (for babies, you can rehydrate by covering w/ water then boiling until they've plumped and softened, then puree them. H LOVED prunes!)[/LIST]
Marci,
HBV's suggestions are great!
One thing to note is that although so plant greens are great sources of iron, the greens (oxalic acid) interfere with it's absorption.
Vitamin C served with high iron foods help a great deal with the absorption. Things like papaya and cantalope are great until you can start citrus. One tip is to feed a small amount before or after bottles a couple time a day.
I have read 3-4 egg yokes per week is a good recomendation. (hard boiled works well)
Another really good source of iron is ground flax seed. (you have to keep it in the freezer once ground)
An idea for a iron rich breakfast is to mix 1 or 1/2 an egg yoke with iron fortified cereal and formula and add 1/4 - 1/2 tsp of ground flax seed to it. Either add some vitamin C fruit to the cereal or feed a little after or add vitamin drops as well. Doesn't sound the greatest, but my DS thinks it is the cat's meow.
You can always supplement with iron drops if needed, although IMO I think it is better if you can get the nutrition from the food.
Good Luck. I hope those levels go up soon!
M
I love all these ideas--I need to write them down.
Since Journey mentioned papaya, I remember last year someone asked how to cut one. I searched papaya on this site and didn't find anything. I think maybe HBV said how?
I bought one today.
I think I gave a mango how-to. Papaya is easier---cut like you would a cantelope. The seeds are in a cavity in the middle and you just scoop them out.
Advertisements
Yes, I meant to comment on that as well. (HBV's mango instructions, by the way, are easy to follow for first timers!)
Marci, the papaya, I just cut in half and then get the seeds out (anyone else think they look like caviar?) w/ an ice cream/cookie scoop or large metal serving spoon, then dice up like cantaloupe before cooking.
A loves it. And broccoli. And black beans. And prunes (although we usually reserve those to use as medicinal purposes when he has his little "goat poops", aka the Corn Pops.....)
StorkWatcher
Yes, I meant to comment on that as well. (HBV's mango instructions, by the way, are easy to follow for first timers!)
Marci, the papaya, I just cut in half and then get the seeds out (anyone else think they look like caviar?) w/ an ice cream/cookie scoop or large metal serving spoon, then dice up like cantaloupe before cooking.
Two things: You cooked papaya? I just scopped it out and out it in the processor. Cameron did fine with it. I did not realize it needed to be cooked.
Secondly: Mango instructions, please! I made mango last weekend and it was a b***h. I made a mess. I got hardly any fruit out of it. I just did not know what I was doing! (Cameron likes it, but way too much work...)
No, you don't need to cook the papaya. (Stork, I agree, those seeds DO look like caviar)
Here's the mango instruction: A mango pit (or "bone") is one big, flat teardrop shaped piece, about the size of your palm, that runs vertically through the center of the fruit, almost from side to side.
First, you get rid of the pit by cutting it out of the center :
Hold the mango with the larger end on the counter, smaller stem end up. Position the knife so that you're cutting across the widest part. Cut the mango with a vertical downward stroke about 1/4 inch out from the stem----you'll wind up w/ a boat shaped half. Do the same thing on the other side of the pit. Now, you should have 3 pieces: the pit, w/ a little surround of fruit and skin, then 2 boat shaped halves.
Now you get the fruit out of the boats:
Take one of the boat shapes and score it---run 2 or 3 cuts through the fruit only lengthwise, and 2 or 3 across. Don't cut all the way through the rind. It will look like a little tic tac toe grid. Now, pick the half up and push up on the rind (turning it "inside out") Your scoring has created little cubes that will rise up from the rind. Use your knife to run along the bottom to cut them away from the rind. Now repeat on the other half. Sounds harder than it really is. I promise you will get a lot more fruit that way.
For those near a Sam's or Price Club, Dole now sells big bags of frozen mango chunks---yay! I LOVE mangos, and now I just buy these and keep them in the freezer.
And if anyone tries a small jarred food to check for allergies before making their own, Gerber makes mango, papaya, guava baby food.
The guava is so yummy, I like to eat it! But I think they're mostly thickened a bit w/ cornstarch, which I don't care for.
Advertisements
I need to stop treating google like its my GP, itҒs making me feel like a right hypocondriac.
Going to the doctors in a bit anyway.
I think I might be anemic, the doctors in london thought so too and i showed signs of internal bleeding, then i had a blood test and it said i had massive red blood cells due to drinking too much alcohol. but since ive stopped drinking, the symtoms have not gone away, and gotten worse tbh.
I saw a therapist who told me that quite a lot of the mental things i was describing to him were symptoms of [URL="http://www.irondeficiencyguide.com/"]iron deficiency[/URL].
Anyway, A blood test is in my near future.. and im so excited, i ****ing LOVE needles.
Yeah, another thing that makes me a freak :)
Be aware that there are types of anemia, such as thalassemia, that are NOT improved by giving iron.
With thalassemia trait, a person can be anemic, but totally healthy; iron will not change the person's anemia readings. But there are more serious forms of thalassemia, including those where a child will need frequent transfusions in order to live.
Thalassemia is more common in certain ethnic groups than in others.
Sharon
All the vegetables and fruits contain Iron. So, you just give as much as vegetables and fruits as you can eat and he will automatically get the iron. Especially green vegetables.
[URL="http://www.adoreachild.com/"]Baby Care[/URL]
Drugs your new to [url=http://www.mmotank.com/]Buy WOW Gold[/url] character, you begin within town associated with Lumbridge. One excellent factor is, just on the eastern regarding Lumbridge is one of the best locations to have gold: your cow-field. For earning cash upon cowhides, you first want to vacant from WOW Silver your collection except your present armour moreover to weaponry. Take these on the lender and also fall these individuals off. Then go eastern out of the adventure and through the link, then northern until the factor is the area on the eastern with all the present cattle within. This is definitely where you may produce income.
When an personal first feedback the cow-field, you is likely to see lots of other individuals Buy WOW Silver in at this time there eliminating cattle. That is also a good spot to trainer low-level information, which will be why it is such an outstanding position to acquire cash. Thousands of individuals training on cattle are regularly too active raising the cow components, which mean all you have to execute is go around and choose up the reduce cowhides. If each of the conceals gets grabbed, no task. Just remove the cattle you and have the themes. Gather cowhides until your record is complete. Then need them towards the lender plus come back for further. You want to gather about Inexpensive WOW Silver 100 and also so themes, though the more you acquire, the more expensive you will produce.
Advertisements