Advertisements
Advertisements
Hi,
I'm helping a friend of mine try and find his birth parents. He was born in LA County. I used ancestry.com to pull up all males born on his birth date. I found him in the list under his adopted name, but I have heard that adoptees are usually listed twice and he should also be listed by his name given at birth. I'm wondering if that's true, or if I misread that somewhere.
In the list there are some births that only have a last name. I'm wondering if those are the ones likely to be adoptions, and should I focus on those?
We know the birth parents were not married, so should I also focus on listings where the child's last name is the same as the mother's maiden name?
Just trying to figure out the best strategy. Maybe someone knows a better way.
Thanks,
Brian
My husband was listed in the California Birth Index without a first name. We knew from his adoption papers that he was officially called "Baby Boy" King. So whe we searched, we were able to locate his mother's maiden name as well as his father's name (his parents were married to each other) If you will send me his birth date and see if they know his last name at the time of his adoption (it is listed on his final adoption decree), I will do a search with the California Birth Index that I have a subscription to for you. The list is not complete, but I haven't come across a person that I have searched for yet that wasn't listed.
Advertisements
I have been recently searching for information on my bfamily. I have confirmed my birth name and I have found the same information on my bname and my adopted name both have the same bday. If you know this information you may find this on the birth index.
In the CA Birth Index are the children listed twice? Original Birth name with Birth mother and then the certificate amended with the Adopted parents name? I find a Birth certificate listed with the Birth Mom. I am used to searching in TX where the Birth Mom is removed from the certificate and the adopted parents names show on the certificates?
The birth occured 11/18/83.
Any help would be appreciated...famhstygrl
Sometimes. I have not come across an instance when the child is listed with his/her adopted name. But I have been told that there are cases when both names are listed. My husband is listed with his birth name(s). He was given three different birth names. There was no first name, but he was listed with is mother's maiden name, her married name and with his birth father's name.
can one of you answer this?
my mom was born 11-01-1958
She was listed three times and they all match up.
BABY GIRL SMITH ROGERS 11-01-1958 RIVERSIDE COUNTY CA
BABY GIRL ROGERS ROGERS 11-01-1958 RIVERSIDE COUNTY, CA
AND HER ADOPTED NAME ALISON LUSBY 11-01-1958 RIVERSIDE COUNTY, CA
We got a letter today from the state of vital stats-
it was a certificate of no birth found for a baby girl smith on 11-01-1958, but it is in the birth index.
WHAT DOES THIS MEAN?
Advertisements
My guess is that Smith is the last name of the birth father, Rogers is the last name of the birth mother. You can be listed in the CABI and have vital stats say there is "no birth found"...because the birth certificate is sealed. At least that's true in my case.
In California "no birth record found" can mean that the name searched was not found, meaning there was no legal adoption. Try sending for the bc with the birth name, if you know it. If there was no adoption, then that record is not sealed. -mary s.
Hi brian!
You are on the right track, and of course you want only those matching-BDAY males born in L. A. county. Sometimes you can then delete names that are obviously of a different nationality or ethnic group.
You can also delete names of people with the same name and bday who are obviously alive today. Peoplefinders.com is a good place to check. Also, check CA death notices for males born on that day who are now deceased. These checks will help to eliminate many names from your list.
Unmarried women often have 2 listings for the original birth - both have same mother's maiden name, birthdate, and county. Baby's listed with last name of each parent. Only in cases of married couples or unmarried couples where the father identifies himself at the time of birth, will there be only one original record. Only in cases where the mother refused to identify the father, will there be only one birth record, with child of course named after the mother. California makes every effort to provide as many options as possible for the child to use later on.
Then if there are only a few names left, you can send for non-id copies of the bc's. If the bc arrives in the mail, then it is not sealed, that child was NOT adopted, and you can eliminate. The "real" one will be sealed and unavailable to you. I hope this helps. - mary s.
well my mom has a non id, so im guessing there had to be an adoption.
im thinking she wasnt born in palm springs like her amended cert. says, cause the hospital is whited out and all it says is riverside county.
if shes listed as both baby smith and baby rogers,
could that mean rogers WAS married. but had an affair, so she'd be listed twice?
Advertisements
Hello I was wondering if u have acess to ca birth index and if u do could u look up my name Coren D.Stewart or it might be spelled Koren I do know I was born in Chino State Prison CA. Thank u very much
Last_Name First_Name Middle_Name B_yr B_mo B_dy Mothers_Last_Name Sex County_of_Birth
STEWART KOREN D 1965 10 08 STEWART FEMALE SAN BERNARDINO
Do you know how old your mother was when you were born? Or what state she was born in? Maybe I can try to find some more info on her.
Send me a private message with what you know about your half siblings and your mother and I will see what I can find.
Advertisements