Advertisements
Advertisements
Viewing Single Post
I petitioned Oklahoma County Adoption Court since that was the county I was adopted from. There were 3 things the petition asked for and I had to qualify for one of the three. I had to show that I needed the records for a medical reason. The court asked for a letter from my doctor. The second reason I could petition for was if there was a question of Indian ancestory. I showed them the "non-identifying information" provided by Deaconess showing "trace of Indian" in the papers. The third I could have done is to show why there is a "breech of confidentiality" which I am not sure what the court was looking for in the answer. I was able to show the first two reason so they allowed me a copy of the original birth certificate. They signed an order and I went to the Oklahoma State Health Dept: Vital Records. I had to pay $15 for a sealed certificate. From there, I looked in archived records (newspapers, ancestory web sites, etc) and called the county from which she was living at the time of the adoption for info on her family. I ended up taking a trip to the town and found people that knew her. I wrote a letter to see if this was her and we are meeting this Memorial Weekend. Deaconess askes for a decent amount of money to provide some of this info. Keep in mind, the court system is an option to try.