Advertisements
Advertisements
We all see the word "adopt" used to fit many situations. To "adopt" a highway, a pet, a section of land to care for, a policy, etc...
And here...adopt and adoption has a very personal connection for us that carries a much different meaning and importance.
Is it overused in these cases? Is it offensive to you? Is it just accepted and not offensive?
What are your thoughts??
I guess never really thought about it before. I know when I see the "adopt a highway" signs I do get frustrated. It only reminds me that DD isn't ready to meet and it reminds me of the never ending battle for DH to adopt my younger DD.
We have rescue animals at home. They were rescued from dangerous situations so they are rescue cats and dogs...we don't say they are adopted.
I never really put too much thought into it before.
Advertisements
I think it just gives the underlying idea that "adoption" is easy because you can pretty much "adopt" anything! As we all know, adoption of a child is a very complex issue accompanied by emotions that run deep in everyone involved.
So, I think it does kind of minimize the reality of adoption in and of itself. But it is not something I have ever thought of before.
crick
We all see the word "adopt" used to fit many situations. To "adopt" a highway, a pet, a section of land to care for, a policy, etc...
And here...adopt and adoption has a very personal connection for us that carries a much different meaning and importance.
Is it overused in these cases? Is it offensive to you? Is it just accepted and not offensive?
What are your thoughts??
I think after I started searching for my bson that I noticed the use of adopt more then I ever did before.
I too wondered at it's use. But it is a legitmate would to use in many cases. But sometimes, you wonder if they couldn't find another word to use.
While surfing all the not as common forums, I stumbled across this! ;)
I actually emailed the Dallas Zoo one time about their Adopt-an-animal program. I can just see my oldest son now, all excited and wanting to know when the homestudy is and when he can bring home a baby Elephant or something. That is something my oldest son would come up with!
I didn't get a response from them at all. :(
I am an adoptee and I personally find it offensive to use the term 'adopt' whilst speaking of adopting animals etc. and it is something I have thought of before.
Those who aren't adopted may not understand but seeing pages in magazines such as 'adopt a monkey today' makes me feel as though I am on the same level as an animal because I too have been adopted.
Of course, there is a great deal of difference in adopting a child and adopting a monkey. Therefore I think a new term should be used to distinguish between the two.
Advertisements