Advertisements
Advertisements
Viewing Single Post
Hello! I am a 30 year old (soon to be 31) single male who is seeking to adopt. Like so many else, marrage seems to have passed me by. And it hasn't passed me by because I am some sort of psyco or anything, but rather because of my own laziness in that arena.
Being single is great, don't get me wrong. I have nobody to answer to. I get to spend all of my money on my toys (computers and home theater). I own my own house (with a roomate who pays me rent), and have a nice car. Despite all of that however my life has a huge hole in it... No one to provide for, nurture, and call family. Who knew that even men can have that need programmed into them?
Most of my friends are married, and are starting to have children of their own. The more I watch that the more I realize that I want a family of some sort even if marrage doesn't find me.
I have started the process to become licenced to foster/adopt in my home state of Missouri as of mid June and I am already well on my way to be licensed. So far it has been rather easy. My local family services office has been quite open to the idea of single and male and have not thrown me any road blocks. I have noticed however that I need to be a little more proactive when communicating with them.
I still have some fears and uncertainties about being a single parent, but those seem to be diminishing a lot the more I research it. I would love to talk with some single adoptive dads about this.
I had that for quite sometime myself in the 3 years leading up to this decision. Once I came out into the open about this and got the overwhelming support of my friends and family those fears have largely subsided. Now I am finding myself in almost a constant state of excitment. The only fear I really have anymore is the question of how my social life will be affected. I do have tendencies to get lonely quickly unless I am out and about with friends. So far my best answer to that question is to let go of that need, which I am working on now.
Anyways, I have probably rambled on enough for one post. I hope to hear from other single men around the country or in my state who have or are looking to adopt.