Advertisements
Advertisements
Hi - has anyone adopted from Georgia (Eastern Europe)? I was looking at [url=http://www.adoptionavenues.org/georgia.html]Adoption Avenues, International Adoption Agency[/url] and it sparked my interest. Would like to hear your experience with both Georgia and any thoughts on this agency also. Thanks in advance!
I would also be interested in hearing about experiences and/or agency experience while adopting through Georgia.
Thanks!
Advertisements
Back in 2002/2003, Georgia law allowed for direct birthmother relinquishments. Babies were coming home between 6 and 10 weeks old.There were only a few agencies who were working there and there was one agency in particular who seemed to handle the bulk of the adoptions. The woman who coordinated that program has now opened an agnecy and does placements from Georgia and other countries.
The govt stepped in some time in 2003/2004 and decided to change the law to disallow the relinquishments and restructure the laws to insitute a waiting list for children in orphanges. It took quite a while for them to sort out their laws. Now I think most children who are available are older or special needs.
HTH,
Maggie