Advertisements
Advertisements
Sorry...had another question. When my BM was about to leave the hospital...I was there as was the attorney....on the papers she filled out, she requested NO social security card be sent out since she knew that the baby's last name will change (she was kind enough to put the first and middle name we had chosen on all the papers. Anyway, a SS card came in the mail anyway. When we left the finalization hearing 2 weeks ago...the attorney told me that we would get a new SS# for the baby. I told him that we had the card already...and I thought we would just have to change the name on it. He said "no..you get a whole new number". Anyone have any experience with this?
We applied for a ss card for my daughter before the adoption was finalized (it took 17 months). When we finalized, we did have the option to change the number completely, but chose not to and they simply changed the name.
Advertisements
Our agency wouldn't give us our dd's SS card or number so we had to file for a new one. The reason given was that it could be used to obtain her birth records or name...the bmom wanted a closed adoption but since that wasn't the case with you I don't know why he would insist. Did you ask him why he wanted you to do that???