Advertisements
Advertisements
Viewing Single Post
Fran27
I hesitated to post about this but I can't think of a better place to...
We started the adoption process 2 years ago now. We've officially been waiting for 1 1/2 year. It's been really hard, especially as I'm not working and I've been reluctant to start anything knowing it could happen at any time.
The fact is, we're not religious. We have very strong values but we just don't believe in any God... I'm French and we just don't see religion the same way over there. I was part of a mailing list giving potential situations and ended up leaving because every single potential birthmom wanted a Christian couple, and it was very frustrating...
Is anyone in my case, and yet managed to adopt succesfully? We're getting in the long wait range for my agency, and although I'm aware that we are pretty difficult in our criteria (no alcohol, minimum drug, and caucasian only, although I'd really love to change the latter :( ), I'm worried it's the main issue.
Thanks in advance... getting pretty desperate here :(
I guess it depends on where you are and where you are looking to adopt from. We were told by our agency that our faith and church involvement would most likely be a major factor in making our wait alot longer because here, people either don't care one way or the other or they don't want a family where faith is a factor. It ended up not being a negative factor at all, and not because the families were looking for a Christian family. It would be interesting to see how much of what the SW says ends up being true.
Factors that did make our wait shorter included considering children with higher medical needs (both genetic and related to substance exposure) and for our family, race was a non-issue.
I hope things work out for you soon... the wait is so very, very hard... don't hesitate to ask for support here! ((((((((((((((((((((hugs))))))))))