Advertisements
Advertisements
A long time ago, 40 years to be exact, a woman found that she was pregnant. The circumstances aren't clear but this special woman decided to give her baby up for adoption. She delivered a healthy baby girl on October 5, 1967 in Minneapolis MN. Whatever the reason, this baby girl was placed with LSS to find her a home.
A nice couple came in looking for a baby. They had tried for a long time and had problems getting pregnant. So, they went to LSS to look for a baby girl. What they found was this woman's baby. The baby looked up at them and smiled. That was all it took. The couple knew that this was the baby for them. They were able to place her right before Christmas.
Over the years the child grew into a happy toddler who would go up to anyone and want to be picked up and held. As a young girl, she would take it upon herself to walk the neighborhood and raise money for Jerry's Kids. She would bring home stray animals that were hurt in order to try to help them. She was "adopted" by many of her friends moms and had many "grandparents" throughout the neighborhood. During her teenage years, she was an insecure child, but then again many are. It was during these years that she began to wonder about her birth mother. Her adopted father was very understanding about this but her adopted mother was very afraid. She would get angry when she heard that the girl was thinking about her birth mother. It would be many years later before the adopted mother would admit that she was always afraid that the birth mother would come and take her daughter away. Even to this day, her adopted mother still expresses those fears.
Anyway, this girl would get the urge to search and then shy away. She was afraid that she would be rejected. "What if she doesn't want to know me?" So, thoughts of a search would be tucked away in a folder.
Every few years, something would happen to make the girl think about her birth mother and thoughts of a search would come to the surface again. Calls would be made, papers would be received and letters would be written. But alas, it would go back into the folder that over the years had become quite large.
Eventually, the girl found a man that she loved and was married. She now has three beautiful children of her own. And once again, she has thought about her birth mom and wondered, "Is it too late? Is there still a chance of finding her? Will her birth mother want to know her?".....
As that child, I know that I would like to know you. I hope that if I hold out my hand, that my birth mom will take it. One question that LSS asks is "What are your expectation?". To be honest with you, I don't know. I have questions both medical and emotional. I'm sure that you can understand that. I know that I don't want to cause you any pain or disrupt your life. At the very least, I would like to remove that unknown part of my life. In the "latest" letter that I've written I wrote something about my adopted father who passed away two years ago. I wrote, "He knew that this was important to me, not to define me but to complete me." I think that is really what I expect the most. To be complete once and for all. As they say, the rest is just gravy. LOL!
And if I never find her, I would just want her to know that I don't have any bad feeling towards her. No matter what the reasons were, you made the best decision you could at that time in your life and tried to do what you felt would be best for everyone. Life is full of second chances and new beginnings. I hope that I can find that new beginning with you.
Wow! This is a wonderful to the point letter. I can see the desire to just know. It is part of the journey that was chosen for your life. It is a good thing that you are able to express how you feel and still get on with your life. :)
Advertisements
And if I never find her, I would just want her to know that I don't have any bad feeling towards her. No matter what the reasons were, you made the best decision you could at that time in your life and tried to do what you felt would be best for everyone. Life is full of second chances and new beginnings. I hope that I can find that new beginning with you.
I hope you find her.. I needed to know how my bson was doing.. It put my mind at rest..
Jackie
Thank you both for the nice thoughts. This is something I have been struggling with for a very long time. I wish everyone peace and joy at this time of year.
Lori
lilraskels
Wow! This is a wonderful to the point letter. I can see the desire to just know. It is part of the journey that was chosen for your life. It is a good thing that you are able to express how you feel and still get on with your life. :)
:clap:
Yes, it is. Well said.
I am also an Adult Adoptee, I feel we have the right, if not the need to know where we come from. You really should search. Tell your Amom that she is still number one and she is your mom and nothing will ever change that. My Amom would also get angry when I asked questions. She passed away in 2007 and now I have no parents birth or otherwise. So I have never gotten any closure. Please for the sake of other adoptees search, and seek. Your Amom will come to understand.
Advertisements