Advertisements
Advertisements
We are currently in process of an independent Brazilian adoption. Our paperwork has been authorized by the state and now we are told the next step is to get it to the Brazilian Consulate. Does anyone know the amount of time this takes and should we personally take it or mail it? We try to contact them, but get no response.
We hired a courier to hand deliver our paperwork. It only took a day or two. If we had mailed it in it could have taken up to 15 days. I would take the paperwork to them or hire someone to do it. Hope this helps!
Advertisements
Thanks for your reply. We ended up hand delivering our paperwork last week. We have heard that it is difficult or rare to adopt a young girl (age 3-5) from Brazil. We have been told we would have to consider a sibling group to have a better chance. Do you have any insight? How is your transition going? Are her special needs a big challenge for you?
Our daughter has transitioned wonderfully! She is 3 years old (turns 4 in March) and we were told that she was special needs. She is very small due to severe malnourishment (only weighs 19 lbs), other than that she is perfect. She bonded with us from day 1 (before we even left the orphanage). She is a very quick learner, very affectionate, speaks only English now, potty trained, can say all of her ABC's, count to 10, eats anything, starts Ballet next month, and we have only been home 4 months!! Most of the things that they told us able her, we found to be incorrect. I know that all cases do not work out like ours, and we wanted to adopt her no matter her condition. We felt that she was meant to be our daughter no matter what! I hope that this is helpful and please let me know if I can help you in any way.
How long did the state have your paperwork? We too are in the process and curious how long this has taken for others. What state are you adopting from?
Thank you for responding. We are excited to hear that your adoption is going so well. You give us great hope! Our papers go to Brazil on Monday, 1/21 and we are getting excited! I see your thread that you had posted pictures, but we could not find them. Would you be able to post some again? We would love to see your little ones. Congrats to you on your family! God bless.
Rebekah
Advertisements
The pictures are still posted under my user name marsha_ky in the members gallery file. Hope you can find them! What state in Brazil are you adopting from?
Our total process from Home Study to coming home from Brazil took 10 months. It would have been shorter but we were held up by holidays (Christmas, New Year, Carnival). We adopted our daughter from Parana, and CEJA took 16 weeks to approve us.
We are in Michigan and my husband took our paperwork to "The Office of the Great Seal" in Lansing and they stamped all 17 documents while he waited. We also hand delivered the papers to Braz. Cons. in Chicago and could have received them back the next day, but could not stay, so they mailed them back and we received them in 3 working days. Simpler than we thought. We do not know what state we are adopting from. Probably either Parana or Sao Paulo, as that is where our contacts are.