Advertisements
Advertisements
I realize I've only posted her a handful of times but I wanted to share our exciting news. We are from Utah but I have had to stay in Michigan since the end of October because our daughters birthfather decided to contest the adoption after she was born. All of our valient efforts to get ICPC to let us come home failed and I have had to live here for three months with our baby.
We had a court hearing yesterday and her birthfather made an absolute fool of himself in front of the Judge and the court. Their cause had definately tanked south and in order to get things finished quickly our attorney offered them a plea deal. The deal is that we would send pictures of our daughter to their family once a year until she is age five. And that we would have one visit before we leave for Utah. We found out this afternoon that he has accepted the plea deal and HAS SIGNED THE RELINQUISHMENT PAPERS. His rights are now irrevocable with NO CHANCE OF APPEALS!!! Halleluja.
We are driving up tomorrow to the court with our daughters birthmother where she will be signing the relinquishment papers at the courthouse. We are so relieved. This adoption has been h**l for us because we never expected to be involved in a contested adoption. Though supportive at first, he changed his tune after she was born. We are so grateful the the Judge was able to see him for who he really was... a troubled teenager from a dysfunctional family and constantly in trouble with the law. I'm so happy!
Congrats Tamara!!!! :prop:
I'm so sorry you and your DH had to go through this. Especially during our best season. Hasn't this weather been grand?
Here's hoping you're on your way home with your baby girl very soon.
Advertisements
"We are so grateful the the Judge was able to see him for who he really was... a troubled teenager from a dysfunctional family and constantly in trouble with the law. I'm so happy!"
Aw, that is sad for everyone. I pray that he can get help and grow out of this as so many troubled teens manage to do and lead a very productive life that his child can be proud of. It is good that he did atleast step up and try to take responsibility. Congratulations on your open adoption.
Wow- only 15? I just saw that. Then I would say that I have seen wonderful miracles from many kids that age who are troubled. Our church has many youngsters who had probs at 15 and are now awesome young adults.
Congratulations, Viann - what county in Michigan are you adopting through?
Several years ago, we had a wonderful judge through Macomb county - he was very kind.
Advertisements