Advertisements
Advertisements
Viewing Single Post
In our state we are legally required to keep a "lifebook" which is actually a scrapbook. I buy the 12x12 kind that are large enough they will also hold school papers, report cards, etc. I buy a extra pages that are 12x12 but divided into 4x6 sections for photos with memo slips so I can write when the pic was taken and who is in it etc. This is especially important for children who are in care long-term. If you make no scrapbook or anything for them then that time in their life is forgotten time with no pics or anything. Many foster children who come from neglect have never had periodic pictures taken and may not when they (if they) return home. Most I have had did not have school pics taken. So this is really exciting for them. I found some blue and pink ones on sale at Kohl's that have a small cut out in front for a pic which is nice because I can grab one and see by the pic on the front who's scrapbook it is.
You are required to send all clothing, shoes, and toys purchased for them (unless we are talking something like large Fisher Price toys or swingsets that were purchased for your whole group). We are required to keep receipts of clothing and I tape them to computer paper and write out beside them what size and a description of the items. I buy a rubbermaid and write X's clothing on it to put items I purchase out of season when on sale or items that bioparents sent that don't fit or are damaged. I keep it in our storage building. Then when they leave, I put all their clothing in it and send the clothes rubbermaid and all with them. Same way with toys. I buy a rubbermaid and write X's toys on it and they use it as their personal toy box while they are here and it goes with them as well. It is the easiest system I have found.
I also purchased MANY of the $5 hardback books at Kohl's like Guess How Much I Love You etc that my husband, sons, and myself can sign and send with them as a small good-bye gift. We are big readers and read bedtime stories (a first for some) so it is a fitting bon voyage.
Just some ideas. You will find what works for you. Good luck!
Kim