Advertisements
Advertisements
Viewing Single Post
I've fostered teen girls. The ones that ended successfully were still the most challenging times I've ever had. Like a previous poster said, they ALL come with a difficult attitude to manage. "End successfully" means that they didn't disrupt before they aged-out to independent living. Some did disrupt for various reasons, usually because they prefered to try a different foster home, rather than follow house rules. All of our girls were taken for the long-haul, not just to foster. When/if they wanted to be adopted, we were willing from the onset.
The ones that disrupted really broke my heart, so much so that we've gone to baby/toddler foster care right now, while we wait for a foster to adopt infant. I started taking teen girls when my own oldest daughter was an older teen. So, I had quite a bit of parenting experience. I also was a crisis intervention counselor and had the training that comes with that. And it was the hardest thing I ever did. But I can honestly say that every single hard time, difficult attitude, obnoxious look, mean or nasty comment was absolutely worth it. I am SOOOO glad that I did it. I made a difference in each of their lives in a very real way. I didn't cure them. I didn't give them an outlook that helped turn them into doctors or CEOs (yet), I didn't take away their pain, or magically heal their self esteem.
But I did love them unconditionally, and they knew it. I did invest in them, and never turned away. I helped them learn how to trust again. And they still call. They still call me their mom, and they bring their babies over for me to hug and kiss and stamp my approval. My approval is still so important to each one.
So, like the Army (Marines?) commercial says, "It's the toughest job you'll ever love." But you may not love it until it's done!
There is such a huge need. I don't know what your faith is, but if you believe that Jesus is calling you to it, just know that He will supply your every need. He will give you the patience, the peace, the strength to do it. Because where we are weak, He is strong.
Blessings,
Aundrea