Advertisements
Advertisements
I posted this on another board and they suggest I post it here.
Thanks!
My DD just turned 7 months old. She is AA, so I know that the whites of her eyes are not suppose to be bright white. Her whites are a darker white (she is very dark skinned, also.) If you get right up to her eyes, you can see a couple of little brown spots on the whites of her eyes. I don't know many AA people and do not know if this is common. I thought they had always been like this, but someone pointed it out to me the other day and I never noticed the spots. This is making me a little nervous, so any help is appreciated. I plan on asking her doc about this next month when we see her ped & cardiologist.
[URL="http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20071101060127AAM1hdv"]Why are the whites of some peoples eyes actually more brown than white? - Yahoo! Answers[/URL]
Check this link! I also did a copy/paste of the text.
Resolved Question
Why are the whites of some peoples eyes actually more brown than white?
I've only noticed it in some african americans.
Best Answer - Chosen by Asker
You have really answered your question without knowing it. Caucasians and other less darkly pigmented races tend to have very white sclera (white part of the eye). The more darkly pigmented the race (i.e. african american) the more you tend to see some pigmentation of the sclera. Since pigment is brown, the sclera may look more brown in those who have excess scleral pigmentation. Hope this helped.
[LIST]
[*]4 months ago[/LIST]Source(s):
Me. I am an optometric physician.
Advertisements
Sounds about right, if she is not complaining via excessive crying, or any other behavior, to make you think of her having vision problems or pain in the eye, etc; it is probably normal pigmentation variation. I have a brown spot on the white of my eye.. I am fine.
However always double check with your child's doc.
Our biracial daughter has the same pigmentation in her eyes, darker spots, almost dark-greyish looking. I've read that it is normal and nothing to worry about. She's 9 now and, aside from wearing glasses, there's been no other problem in or around her eyes.
My dad and myself both have single brown spots in our eyes. I've never heard that it is anything but normal. I wear glasses, and see an ophthalmologist every few years for a separate issue, and the spot has never been brought up as being something pathological. I'm also a pediatrician. Hope that helps.