Advertisements
Advertisements
Now I realize that we all expect our children to get good grades. With that question asked my parents want to do something special for each good grade (A's) that my oldest son recieves. I am not real comfortable with this because grades are earned thru hard work and learning....not money driven.
My parents did this for my nieces who are 19 and 24 now but really stuggled with grades all thru school (they were more into the social apect of school).....that so far is not the case with my son. So they feel that because they did this for my sisters daughters they should do the same for my boys.
I don't like the thought of money given to my son just to spend on silly purchases. However, I cannot change my parents mind so my thought is to let them help with the cost of some activity my son would like to be involved with....such as....soccor, swimming, golf or any other activity.
What are your thoughts?
I agree that rewarding a child for something they should (if capable) do is not the best idea.
If they refuse to budge, then helping with soccer or something sounds good.
My sister pays my nephew $100 for every A in college. He was doing awesome, until he quit this semester!
I don't know, I know people who do it, but I'm not one that will. You and your husband will have to discuss what is best for you and be firm with your parents.
Good luck!
Advertisements
My parents paid me for good grades when I was young (elementary) and I don't think it made any difference at all in my learning or studying. What it did do was show me what my parents thought was important.
I did squander the money each time, but I remember some of the purchases and some of the regrets at how I spent it, so it was educational in a way. Mostly it was exciting to have a significant sum (such as $6 back in the 1960s) to shop with.
I don't think it is a 'wrong idea', because later on (in high school) good grades and test scores led to scholarship money.
I was always a straight-A, honor student throughout my school years. My parents never once attached a financial incentive to my grades. They had high expectations and taught me that it was my responsibility to make the most of my education. They did, however, take me out to a really nice restaurant of my choice on report-card days, kind of a celebratory dinner. That was acknowledgement enough for me. :)