Advertisements
Advertisements
My husband and I have just begun looking into adoption. We are a childless couple in our thirties and have not decided whether to pursue domestic or international adoption. I apologize if this is a silly question, but I havent been able to find an answer. I was wondering if there are home size restrictions.
We live in a ғstarter home. It has two bedrooms, one bathroom, and approximately 1,100 SF of living space. Would our small home prevent us from adopting? Is home size an important factor? Our home is well-kept, and almost everything has been updated or remodeled in the last five years.
The housing market where we live is absolutely atrocious. We can afford a larger house, but we cannot afford to buy a larger house and have our current house sit on the market for a year. It would be a better decision financially to wait a few years for the market to improve. WeԒd rather not wait that long to begin the adoption process.
Any guidance would be appreciated. Thank you in advance for your help.
clematis
My husband and I have just begun looking into adoption. We are a childless couple in our thirties and have not decided whether to pursue domestic or international adoption. I apologize if this is a silly question, but I haven’t been able to find an answer. I was wondering if there are home size restrictions.
We live in a “starter” home. It has two bedrooms, one bathroom, and approximately 1,100 SF of living space. Would our small home prevent us from adopting? Is home size an important factor? Our home is well-kept, and almost everything has been updated or remodeled in the last five years.
The housing market where we live is absolutely atrocious. We can afford a larger house, but we cannot afford to buy a larger house and have our current house sit on the market for a year. It would be a better decision financially to wait a few years for the market to improve. We’d rather not wait that long to begin the adoption process.
Any guidance would be appreciated. Thank you in advance for your help.
Hi there! Our home is the same size, except we have 3 bedrooms as opposed to 2. Like you, our home is well kept and completely updated.
For us, size didn't matter...We basically needed a bedroom for a child (which you have) that has 2 entrances/exits into it (door and window). Our state had other requirements, but it was basically just making sure our furnace was fine and that we had smoke detectors/carbon monoxide detectors on each floor.
Good luck!
ETA: I just looked at your profile - we live in Michigan as well - you should be just fine. Feel free to PM me if you have any other questions!
Advertisements
When we started our domestic adoption home study we lived in a 2100 sq ft three bedroom home. We were a family of 4 and used each bedroom. We were told it would be find to live in that house as long as we had a place for a crib which we had set up in our bedroom at the time. We decided on our own to move before Castle was born, actually moved the day before she was born! You should not have any problems with the size of your house.
Each state has a different requirement. Normally as long as you have room for a child and if you have 2 bedrooms, you should. I think you have to have a certain amount of sq footage per person or per child, but 1100 is plenty for now. I don't think you would be allowed to adopt several kids but I imagine 1 or even 2 would not be a problem. I would suggest calling an agency or child protective services and just find out what the laws in your state are.
ETA: Up until very recently, I lived in a 1300 sq ft house, well, it was actually 1200 the first time we adopted. Anyway, I have adopted twice and house size was not a problem. I had enough space to legally adopt 2 more times, and I had tiny bedrooms.
When we started our home study, we lived in a smaller, 2 bed/2 bath town home on a military base. I loved my house (and miss is!). We had no problem being approved.
Advertisements