Advertisements
Advertisements
My husband and I are not Jewish, but our adopted child's birthmother's mother (Bgrandma) is. I know that Jewish lineage is passed through the the maternal line, but would my son still be considered Jewish since he was adopted by non-Jews?
I grew up in a Jewish area, dated Jewish guys until I married my husband, my sister married a Jew and converted so Judiasm is not foreign to me. This is part of the reason my son's birthmom chose us. My son has already been to a seder and celebrated hannukah and he is only a year old! But is he Jewish according to Jewish law?
Interesting question. I'm not in anyway an expert, but in my interpretation YES your child is Jewish. :) If the Bgramma was then the Bmom was (even if she didn't think of herself as Jewish), and if the Bmom is then her kids are. The adoption doesn't negate that in anyway under Jewish law.
Advertisements
Thanks Saya. I appreciate the info. Today, my son found a dredel in a box of toys at my sister's house and was immediately drawn to it. My sister said, "see, he is a Jew!" Anyway, we just hope to keep him connected as he grows up and discovers his own identity.
Technically, the answer is yes. The children are Jewish if the mother is Jewish. I had my daughter converted to Judaism when she was 6 months old. She is now 3.5 years old. She went to a Jewish preschool and now knows more than me about Judaism! lol! :)
portlowski
My husband and I are not Jewish, but our adopted child's birthmother's mother (Bgrandma) is. I know that Jewish lineage is passed through the the maternal line, but would my son still be considered Jewish since he was adopted by non-Jews?
I grew up in a Jewish area, dated Jewish guys until I married my husband, my sister married a Jew and converted so Judiasm is not foreign to me. This is part of the reason my son's birthmom chose us. My son has already been to a seder and celebrated hannukah and he is only a year old! But is he Jewish according to Jewish law?
If your child's birthmother did not convert to another religion prior to having the baby, and if the baby was not converted to another religion by the birth family or by you, then the baby is technically Jewish.
However, that matters only from the standpoint of Jewish law. Yes, if he wishes to marry an observant Jewish woman someday, he won't need to convert -- though he'll have a heck of a lot to learn to keep up with her. If he wishes to move to Israel as an adult, he won't have to wait for an immigrant visa, but can do so under the "Law of Return". And so on.
What should matter to you, however, is how he is going to be raised day to day, starting now. It really isn't possible to raise a child in one religion, if the parents practice another religion. You can teach him a bit ABOUT Judaism, and encourage him to respect the faith of his birthmother (as he should respect all faiths), but he won't be living as a Jew.
It would actually be better, from the standpoint of raising your son, if you and your husband make him a full member of whatever faith you profess. It will be easier to link him to your family (very important for an adopted child), to teach him the values and practices you want him to learn, and to make him part of a support network of people who share your traditions.
So if you happen to be, for example, Roman Catholic, it would be best if you were to raise him as a Roman Catholic -- with baptism, confirmation, and so on. No, he will no longer be a Jew, although he can still be proud of his Jewish birthmother and his link to that tradition. But he will be raised as you would have raised a biological child, and that is important. And he will feel a part of a worldwide community of Catholics.
Sharon