Advertisements
Advertisements
So I have a friend of mine that is currently going through a divorce. I'm not really sure of the whole situation or all the problems, but I know that her and her husband would fight a LOT and are always leaving each other and spending the night out of their home, etc. So they've decided to officially end it and get the divorce. They have a son together too. He's about 3 or 4 years old.
I haven't asked her because I know she's not thinking about this now, but when do you think it's ok to start dating again? How long should she wait? When should she talk to her son about this?
I personally think that is it can be a very specific topic as to when each thing should happen.
For me I am truely going by my child's lead and how she is progressing with the change in our household. I am not ready yet either but I will talk to her as things come up.
Advertisements
I can speak both as a single mom, and as the child of divorced parents.
As a child, my parents' dating was REALLY hard on me. They would bring somebody home and ask us, the kids, to accept that person as part of our family life. The boyfriend or the girlfriend would be around all the time. We'd get attached. But then one day, BAMMO, the boyfriend was gone or the girlfriend took off, and we never saw them again.
It was an endless cycle of loss. I still wonder what happened to some of those people. Some of them, the ones that were around for a couple years, I loved a lot as a child. Then they vanished.
I'm a single mom by choice---I'm not divorced, I adopted as a single. I was dating somebody pretty seriously when my son came. When that relationship ended just before Aaron's first birthday, I decided that he'd already lost too many parents to go through this over and over like I did. So now, I am very selective. I do not date very often. If I do, we go out and away from Aaron for the first whole bunch of dates. Only if it gets really really serious will I ever introduce somebody I'm dating to Aaron.....and right now, I don't think that's ever going to happen.
I am divorced, but not a parent yet. I know that, for myself, the grieving process over the divorce took over a year from the time we separated. I don't know if this is normal, though, because my relationship with my ex was very unhealthy. I did date less than a year after the separation, but not until after the divorce was finalized. That relationship went very badly partially because of my remaining issues from my divorce. Now, after another short-lived relationship, I've decided to completely put dating on the shelf at least until after I complete my adoption. After that, I will see how I feel, but I know that if I do decide to date again as a single mom, I will put my child's needs first, even if it means the relationship will have to move much more slowly than it otherwise would.
I would say whatever feels right for her. She will have to figure out what is right for her and what she is or isn't willing to put up with.
After my boyfriend and I broke up 15 months ago, I went on a few dates but the guys were very selfish and didn't understand why I can't be late picking up my daughter.
I just noticed how long ago this was written, maybe we could get an update of what happened??
[URL="http://www.divorceguide.com/free-divorce-advice/marriage-and-separation-advice/divorce-rates-in-america-and-other-western-countries.html"]Divorce rate[/URL] has increased rapidly, leaving 50 percent of divorced population. Divorce has gotten much emphasis to its negative effects to one's family, and few people have embraced this as a personal maturity.
Yes, divorce gives a person with too much grief and resentment, but it's a self-realization that life should go on despite of what had happened in the past.
Of course, you can start dating or start a new relationship once you have given yourself the right time to love again. There's a cliche that still rings true, "Only fools rush in."
Advertisements
Personally I think that single parents (especially moms) should not be deprived of dating again. Of course their main priority now should be their child/children, but they should not put off themselves from feeling love from the opposite sex. They just have to know how to balance the situation between the kids and their soon to be new partners.
<a href=” tub </a>
<a href="http://www.joshgrobanlive.com/">Josh Groban </a>
i think all thigs depends to the situation, my situation is differnet to others so not a limited time period are decided.
[url=http://www.autismchildparenting.com]How Does Autism Affect Children[/url]