Advertisements
Advertisements
My neighbor is trying to decide on what they want their new grand-daughter to call them. They want something different, their names are Linda and John. What do your kids call their grandparents, or if you are a grandparent what are you called?
I'll start, my kids call my Mom, whos name is Jane, Jane-Jane and my Dad, Doug, Dougie.
my parents are Nana and Grumpa
dh's are Grandma and Grandpa
his Aunt was called "Ya Ya" by her grandkids
dh called one of his grandmother's "Do-Do" her name was a "d" name and he couldn't pronounce it
I'm with letting the kids come up with - Grumpa came from my neice :)
Advertisements
My dad is Fuzzy. My step mom is Gamma. My grandpa is Papa. My grandma is GG. And my mom is Ayate (grandma in my daughter's native language).
Samantha
reetoreet
We use mima (meema) and poppy...
We use Mima too!!!! We use mima because it's mommy backwards!!
We use Pop-Pop, though! Close enough!
:gnome:
Our sons call my parents Nonni and Granddad (although it's still "Dad dad" now).
My sister Karen is "Kiki."
My mom said, before they came home, "They can call me anything BUT Granny." LOL
My oldest calls my parents Moo-Maw and Poo-Paw and my in laws Nee-Nee and Pop. Of course there is still my own grandmother who I call Nana but my oldest calls her Grammy.
Advertisements
DD calls my parents grammy and grandpa and my grandparents GiGi and great grandpa. On my husband's side only his father is alive and he prefers to be called papaw.
We do Nanny and Pa.
My coworkers' grandkids call her and her hubby Honey and Bear. Too cute when they call out to their grandma, "Hooonnneyyy!"
We have other friends who call theirs Sugar and Spice. Can you tell we are in the South? LOL. They call great grandma Babs. Too funny.
So you can do just about anything around here, but grandma and grandpa are so boring.
My parents are "Nuna" and "Doc" (doc was a family nickname for my dad.
MIL and FIL were "grandma and grandpa" but my kids shortened it to "MAw and PAW"
My DH's parents are Grandmother and Granddaddy (which was what my MIL's parents were called, also). I used to think Grandmother sounded kinda stiff, but his family is the opposite of pretentious, so I just got used to it.
Our child will be the first grandchild for my parents, so we're not sure what they'll be called. Dad refers to himself as "Pop" when speaking to the dogs (their granddogs), so he'll probably end up being called something like that. My mother can't decide. Her sister is called Mimi by her grandkids, so she kinda wants something cutesy like that. She's not fond of Granny, so we call her that to tease her. :)
My grandparents were Mamaw and Papaw, Gran Gran and Pa, and Gramma and Grampa. I think Gran Gran is sweet, but my Gran Gran was so different from my mother it just doesn't work in my mind.
Advertisements
Our situation is pretty different due to our culture and ethnic backgrounds; DS is AA, I'm Chinese, and DH is Filipino and we live in Hawai'i. My parents are Pa Pa (Cantonse for maternal grandmother) and Guong Guong (Cantonese for maternal grandfather). MIL is Grandma (even though Lola is Filipino for grandmother) because that is what ALL older women are refered to here in Hawai'i.
Yeah, our DS never got to choose either (which bothers me but oh well). IL's are Mimi and Papaw and my parents are Ma and Pop-pop.
I started to call my parent Gma (gee-ma) and Gpa (gee-pa). Thought it was kinda cool (it was a G thing...LOL) but it didn't go over too well once DS started to talk.
DH's bmom is called Coco, which I think is so cool.
My mother is Gorgeous b/c she felt she was too young to be a Gma when her first gchild was born. It is too funny to hear kids calling her that in public and she gets lots of comments about it. The others are Nanny and Papa.
DD has three sets of grandparents, not counting her four great grandmas and one great grandpa.
My parents are grammy and grampy, DH's dad and stepmom are Papa and Bebaw and DH's mom and stepdad are Busha (sp)-Polish for Grandma- and Grandpa.
Three of the four great grandmas are just grandma and one is grandma Ginny. Great grandpa is Jaja-Polish for grandpa.
Whew! I think I got 'em all.
Of course, right now the only one DD says is papa. Everyone else is SO jealous.
Advertisements
My mom is "Miki" (mee-kee) and my dad is "Papa". My siblings, cousins & I always called my grandmother "Grammie" so the great-grandchildren called her "Grammie the great".