Advertisements
Advertisements
We adopted our children through the foster care system. We picked up my youngest son from the hospital when he was a newborn and only "met" his birth parents once at the case plan meeting. My son is now almost 3 and we recently discovered that his biological father is incarcerated. Since neither parent participated in the case plan process beyond the first meeting we have very limited information about the family medical history. I wrote his biological father a letter and asked for medical information. He wrote back what seems to be a very heartfelt letter thanking us for adopting his son and for reaching out to him. He also filled out the medical history questionnaire I sent and was very thorough.
He asked that we write back to him and send a picture of my son. My husband and I have always said that we would be open to sending letters and pictures if any of our children's biological parents reached out and seemed genuinely interested.
So (finally!) here's my question. I want to let my son's biological father know that we are willing to send photos and letters and also to receive letters from him to give to my son when he is older. I want to also let him know, however, that letters and photos are probably the extent of openness that we would be willing to participate in. He hasn't asked for anything more than that, but I want to be fair and honest so that he doesn't expect more. Should I leave that out of the letter and be prepared to address it in the future or sort of set the ground rules from the beginning? He will be in jail 300 miles away for another 4 years so it's not like he would ask for a meeting anytime soon.
I've never done this so I'd love some feedback from someone who has been there, done that.
Thanks!
ca-bigsister
I stand by my statement that I don't want a relationship with someone in prison that I do not know before they went in prison. If it was a relative or a friend I loved, that would be different, but not a stranger I don't know. I send letters to him about his daughter and I make sure FD sends photos, Christmas cards, father's day cards, birthday cards, etc. I make sure that his daughter has a relationship with his parents who really aren't very nice people. I keep them informed of all school activities, invite them to birthday parties, her performances, etc.
Her father can write her whenever she wants and I pay the collect phone calls on my telephone when he calls. This is not cheap. But sorry I don't want a personal relationship with someone who stabbed his own father and left him for dead. He has my address because he sends letters and my phone number because he calls. Yes he was on drugs when he stabbed his own father 27 times while he was robbing his own father but I've heard that he was not a nice person when he went away so why would I want to let him know about my personal life?
I am one of the most compassionate people I know. Personally I think that taking in his daughter when even his own family would not take her is the most compassionate thing I could do for him. FD's mother and grandmother are drug addicts, in and out of jail, doing all kinds of illegal things. FD is on the honor roll in spite of a learning disability.
I have told FD that I will take her to see her biodad in prison if she wants but she has not pursued the matter. I have to be the one to tell her to write him and send cards, but why would I want a personal relationship with this man? You can if you want, but I think that I am being compassionate by having her keep a relationship with him, by letting him know how she's doing in school, etc., but there is no way I want a prisoner sending me a lot of letters, esp. since I am a single woman. He can send them to his kid.
I think you are making the right decision. I do not like to communicate with birthparents when they are in jail/prison. I wait until they are OUT! One or the other is always on their way in or out so far. And these are RELATIVES! Unbelievable--
You are going above and beyond-your fd will thank you someday for your selflessness.
Advertisements
ca-bigsister
I stand by my statement that I don't want a relationship with someone in prison that I do not know before they went in prison.
Her father can write her whenever she wants and I pay the collect phone calls on my telephone when he calls. This is not cheap. But sorry I don't want a personal relationship with someone who stabbed his own father and left him for dead. He has my address because he sends letters and my phone number because he calls.
I'm not slamming you, by any stretch of the imagination. Nor am I suggesting you be this guy's new best friend. But it sounds to me like you DO have a relationship with him. Cards and letters are going back and forth. There are calls. You've taken the time to find out what his crimes were, you've determined that they were violent, and you've decided to have a bounded and limited relationship with him. Fine---that's perfectly appropriate. But that's actually a far cry from "You're in prison, so I refuse to communicate with you."
My argument was that unless there is a concrete, known threat, fost/adopt parents should at least keep an open mind about some form of communication with birth parents. Sounds like that is what you're doing, actually.
Boulderbabe
Not so. Ca-bigsister said, "I do not want to have a relationship with any one in prison." Period, the end. I think that may be too hasty a response.
But you quoted Greenrobin in your post? Was that a mistake? Because her quote you used was true and nothing like the blanket statement you were referring to.
Boulderbabe
Your mileage may vary. But in the seven years I've been involved in foster care, I have never once heard of a birthparent showing up at a foster parent's house without an invitation. My name and address were in the phone book for years, and nobody ever came by or called. My son's social workers all had their names and addresses in the telephone book---nobody ever came over or called.
Well, I've only been doing it for two years and only had 5placements and I've had TWO parents show up at my house. DH had to call the police to get mom and her boyfriend out of our driveway. This was with just our first initial and last name and NO address in the phonebook. So it CAN and does happen and was very scary. I think many on here will agree.
Boulderbabe
The kind of behavior you're talking about takes a lot of foresight and planning. The imprisoned bp would have to find the aparents' address (how, with no internet in prison?), save it or memorize it, and then somehow think of giving that up (for what reason?) when pressured by another inmate. And what other inmate is going to believe that the new parents of the kid the prisoner lost to DSS is going to somehow pay for the bparent's cigarettes?
Have you ever had contact with someone in prison? Because many prisons DO have internet access. They would not need internet if OP is putting return address on communication which is what we have been advising her against. I think you may be naive when it comes to things prisoners will do for even small things like cigarettes. Are you aware that illegal drugs run rampant through the prison system as well?
Boulderbabe
But we're not even talking about giving somebody in prison your home address or phone number. We're talking about sending letters and photos via a PO box, and possibly taking calls to a cellphone. What's the harm in that?
Nothing. That's what we have all be saying....use a PO Box and not a landline phone. Do you read the other posts first before replying? Perhaps you could go back and read them now. As everyone seems to be agreeing with you but just advising that the OP be cautious and careful with info.
Kim
Yes, actually, I have communicated with somebody in prison---my son's bdad. Of course I'm aware that there are illegal drugs in prison. (Do you think I am in idiot?). I'm also aware that many people in prison have extensive mental health and social relations problems.
However, I'm objecting to the idea that foster parents have to necessarily fear any bparent in prison. I do not think that we should be paranoid about them showing up at our homes and assaulting us. I do not think that there is any reason to totally cut off contact because somebody is in prison---after all, statistically speaking, the person is most likely to be there because he's an addict, not because he's committed a violent crime.
Yes, it's sensible to take precautions and to move slowly to open things up. But my advice has been---and still is---to try not to judge bparents in advance. We don't know what their issues are upfront, and we don't know what kinds of risks they do or don't present. I think very few of them actually present any real danger. So while it's prudent to move slowly, there's no reason not to begin by allowing limited openness.
The likelihood that a birthparent will do any kind of harm to you or your family is extremely, extremely small.
Advertisements
By the way: if you know of a prison that allows inmates unrestricted internet access, please let me know. I have never heard of such a thing.
Boulderbabe
Yes, actually, I have communicated with somebody in prison---my son's bdad. Of course I'm aware that there are illegal drugs in prison. (Do you think I am in idiot?). I'm also aware that many people in prison have extensive mental health and social relations problems.
However, I'm objecting to the idea that foster parents have to necessarily fear any bparent in prison. I do not think that we should be paranoid about them showing up at our homes and assaulting us. I do not think that there is any reason to totally cut off contact because somebody is in prison---after all, statistically speaking, the person is most likely to be there because he's an addict, not because he's committed a violent crime.
Yes, it's sensible to take precautions and to move slowly to open things up. But my advice has been---and still is---to try not to judge bparents in advance. We don't know what their issues are upfront, and we don't know what kinds of risks they do or don't present. I think very few of them actually present any real danger. So while it's prudent to move slowly, there's no reason not to begin by allowing limited openness.
The likelihood that a birthparent will do any kind of harm to you or your family is extremely, extremely small.
No I don't think you're an idiot. But I think you are skewing the statistics to support your opinion. Yes, the majority are addicts but that does not mean that they did not ALSO commit other crimes. Were they under the influence or under duress due to the addiction? Perhaps, but they are still criminals and since you are NOT an idiot then you know that they may STILL be under the spell of drugs and addiction while behind bars.
Again......EVERYONE has said that limited openness is good but be careful.
Although the likelihood is small....would you want it to be your family that IS the one harmed? I didn't think so, so we ALL have to be careful and cautious. That is all we were doing when giving the OP tips. Greenrobin suggested that she keep in her mind that people do not get put into prison for being nice, law abiding citizens.
And to your P.S. (you really need to reread posts before responding) because I said internet access....not unrestricted access. That said, they could easily type in a landline phone number in the address bar and get a complete full name and address.
I don't think anyone here is judging your FS's biodad but you seem to be taking our statements geared towards being cautious personally. So I'll just leave it at that and pray the OP will protect her family in any event.
Kim
Boulderbabe
I'm not slamming you, by any stretch of the imagination. Nor am I suggesting you be this guy's new best friend. But it sounds to me like you DO have a relationship with him. Cards and letters are going back and forth. There are calls. You've taken the time to find out what his crimes were, you've determined that they were violent, and you've decided to have a bounded and limited relationship with him. Fine---that's perfectly appropriate. But that's actually a far cry from "You're in prison, so I refuse to communicate with you."
My argument was that unless there is a concrete, known threat, fost/adopt parents should at least keep an open mind about some form of communication with birth parents. Sounds like that is what you're doing, actually.
I said in my first reply that I sent photos and grades but I did not want a relationship with him. I never said, "You're in prison, so I refuse to communicate with you." That are your words, not mine.
Boulderbabe, I think that your heart is in the right place about giving bioparents a chance, but please do not misquote me. Thanks.
Kim,
I have never seen a prison where inmates could just enter whatever they wanted in a Google engine, and get telephone numbers or addresses. In fact, I've never seen a prison where inmates could get on the Internet, period. The only thing I know about is a service that prints out emails and gives them to inmates as paper copies. So no, unless there are prisons that are radically different than the three I've been in, I do not believe that inmates can just go Googling whatever they want.
As for inmates and violent crime: I am not skewing any statistics. The statistics from Human Rights Watch say that over half of all inmates--51%---have not committed any violent crime at all. You keep insisting that they have committed some sort of violent crime, and I am telling you that official statistics say that more than half of them have NOT committed a violent crime. I'm not sure how to say that any more clearly: most prisoners have NOT committed violent crimes. Not high, not sober, not at all. So why assume that they have? Why not bother to actually find out what the story is first, before jumping to conclusions about whether the bparent is dangerous?
I think it is prudent to be cautious and to move slowly. But that is really different from deciding that you'll never, ever have any contact beyond letters before you've even heard two words from the person. Why not leave it at letters now, start slowly, and see how things progress? People change. Time passes. What is true now might not be true in five years. So why slam those doors in a first letter?
My advice to the OP is to move slowly, but not to make any immediate declarations about future contact. Be cautious, but avoid rushing to judgement. See how things go. In a few years, the situation may change dramatically.
By the way, I do read these responses. Very attentively. Your constant assertion that I don't is both rude and patronizing. Could you stop it, please?
Advertisements
Ca-bigsister:
I didn't say that you said "You're in prison, so I refuse to communicate with you." I said the very opposite thing---that in fact, you DO have a relationship with him, and you DO communicate with him.
Boulderbabe
Kim,
So no, unless there are prisons that are radically different than the three I've been in, I do not believe that inmates can just go Googling whatever they want.
Due to my relative being in prison (several) over the course of my entire life, I too unfortunately, have been in many. Depending upon your conviction and level of security, you do have access to law libraries and internet. Many work on their own appeals.
Boulderbabe
You keep insisting that they have committed some sort of violent crime, and I am telling you that official statistics say that more than half of them have NOT committed a violent crime. I'm not sure how to say that any more clearly: most prisoners have NOT committed violent crimes.
PLEASE read carefully. I'm not sure how I can say it any more clearly. I have never mentioned VIOLENT crimes in my posts. I said OTHER crimes. As in....they are not just in prison for drug use.
Boulderbabe
I think it is prudent to be cautious and to move slowly. But that is really different from deciding that you'll never, ever have any contact beyond letters before you've even heard two words from the person. Why not leave it at letters now, start slowly, and see how things progress? People change. Time passes. What is true now might not be true in five years. So why slam those doors in a first letter?
OMG. No one has suggested that. No one. EVERYONE has said that contact is good but be cautious.
Boulderbabe
By the way, I do read these responses. Very attentively. Your constant assertion that I don't is both rude and patronizing. Could you stop it, please?
No. You don't. As you can see from your mistakes in quoting people several times. I will stop it though because you are not listening anyway.
ca-bigsister
I'm done with this thread. Thanks.
Me, too. My head hurts.
Kelly614~
I'm sorry we hijacked your thread. I think it is great that you are open to sending and receiving letters as well as pics. If that is all you are ever comfortable with it is WAY more than many could do. Keep your family safe and good luck!
Advertisements
ca-bigsister
I'm done with this thread. Thanks.
Sigh.....look, I'm not arguing with you. I'm trying to say that you're AREN'T actually doing what I was advising not to do. My advice was, "don't judge people in advance. Find out what their story is. Set prudent limits. But don't feel like you have to cut off communication immediately because somebody is in prison."Your phrase, "I don't want to have a relationship" sounds a lot like you're cutting off communication. But in fact, you aren't. You found out what the guy did, decided it was dangerous to have face to face contact, but maintain the level of communication that's prudent given what you know about the details.
We're agreeing, not disagreeing. I'm sorry you feel upset enough about the way I said that to post veiled messages about it in another thread, but frankly, I can't figure out why you're so upset----we're agreeing. If you ever have problems with what I post, by the way, you're more than welcome to PM me directly. I think it's easier to resolve issues if we talk about them privately, directly and forthrightly, rather than posting indirect messages publicly.
Kim,
Let me tell you why I'm arguing that people shouldn't rush to judgement about bparents in prison.
My son's father has been in prison. Twice. Do you know what crime he committed? Driving without a license. He got busted for driving without a license about three times, and then when he violated probation by doing it again, they tossed him in prison. I think people should have driver's licenses. But driving without one isn't a violent crime. It doesn't make somebody dangerous to me.
What if I cut him off without learning what he'd done? What if I made myself all nervous and paranoid by imagining he was an axe murderer, when he really is just a confused and lost person? My son's father makes stupid, stupid decisions. But he is not a bad person, or a violent one. If I had decided immediately that I wasn't going to have any sort of relationship with him because he'd been in prison, my son would be left with that stigma and shame.
I've had other foster kids with parents in jail. In each case, it's been either drugs or mental illness that landed them there. I take reasonable precautions depending on the status of each birthparent. (The bmom who believed she was on a secret mission for the CIA did some pretty wacky things while she was "doing intelligence work" at night!) But I try to figure out what is going on and what level of risk each person presents, rather than just deciding out of hand that they are dangerous and have to be isolated from me and my family.
You may decide to do something else. But because of the war on drugs, we have the largest prison population in the entire world. (Actually, Americans make up 25% of the world's inmates---a staggering figure). To me, it makes sense to take the time to learn each person's story, and to give them a chance to behave appropriately, rather than just cutting them off from the get go.