Advertisements
Advertisements
My husband & I are going through the Medical Clearance phase of our adoption process. I just found out today that I have Hepatitis B. :( I'm worried that this will disqualify me from being approved for the adoption.
Does anyone know if this is an automatic disqualification?
Advertisements
There is no cure for Hepatitis B so no medication or wait time will help. I apparently got it through childbirth from my mother. Some people are lucky enough to develop antibodies to the virus when they are first infected with it but others are not able to overcome it. Because Hep B is infectious through blood, I would not qualify to adopt - ever. There are Hepatitis B vaccines available for babies/children/adults so that they become immune to the virus.
I am so sorry to hear you are no longer qualify. I am surprised that you didn't find out about this sooner since you were infected at birth. Would this rule you out even for domestic adoption too?
Many hugs!
Advertisements
I'm not 100% sure, but I do believe that you may still be able to adopt a Hep B positive child. Hep B positive children are considered special needs and there are some exceptions that I believe they consider. Talk to your agency and find out for sure.
Are you sure you still would not be eligible to adopt through the SN route? (Hep B + child)
My daughter is Hep B + and when my agency was determining who would be the "best" family for her, one of the things they were taking into consideration was families with other members in the family with the same SN or extensive experience with the SN.
This was before all of the BIG changes that occurred, so I don't know if that is no longer the case, but I know that they do still make some exceptions for SN children.
It wouldn't hurt to check with your agency just to be sure.
Good luck!
I would call and see if you can adopt a child with hep B. I thought you could as well. I though I read somewhere that they make an exception if it is the same SN you have. (No offense) It cannot hurt to call and ask.
Good luck and I am sorry!
Advertisements