Advertisements
Advertisements
OK, now my turn for a hair question :)
Caleb has straight hair, the texture feels the same as I remember Bea's being (Ainsley was bald as a cue ball). What was your AA baby's hair like as a newborn?
My younger son is 1/2 Ethiopian and 1/2 ?? (not Ethiopian). As a newborn he was bald, but had hairy ears. His hair came in silky straight, until almost 2 years old. He looked like a little Indian boy. Now he has curls and I fight with my hairdresser every time not to cut off too much. :)
Advertisements
Daniel came to us at 3 months, but in his newborn pictures, he has a head full of straight hair. At 3 months, it was still fine with loose curls that went everywhere. (My partner called it "dandelion fluff.") At 8 months, he has thick, tight curls, but they are still not all the same texture. His hair is courser and has tighter curls in the back than on top. I've heard that hair texture can continue to change over the first couple of years. I also noticed that Daniel's hair needed less conditioner, and a lighter conditioner, when it was still loose and fine (I used Soft and Precious for AA babies) - although I still conditioned it daily and made sure not to wash it more often than once a week.
Congratulations on your baby boy. He's just beautiful.
Tyler had crazy hair as a newborn. When it was wet it would curl into tight little ringlets but as it was drying and he was rubbing his face and looking around it would straighten right out. Is it curly when you wet it? I would say Ty was about a month before his hair was curly when it was dry too. A lot of it is the hats and everything that straightens it I think too. I kind of wish that before we had his newborn pictures done in St. Louis, I had wet his hair a little. He had SO much hair, but in the pictures it's all wild and not curly, so it doesn't really look like him now!
My dd is AA/CC so I don't know if that matters... but yes, her hair was straight and the texture was exactly like my CC son's hair at birth. But then somewhere around 2 months or so, it started coming in curly :) I cannot tell you how cute she is with her curls! It also is a bit drier and frizzy some days lately. I hear the texture of her hair will probably change again.
Our son, who's AA, was born with VERY curly hair (a lot of it, too!). He's now 3 months old and it's stayed curly even when dry and has gotten a lot coarser. He's worn off a large strip of hair around the base of his head, so he really just has a lot of hair at the top of his head-it's pretty cute.:camo:
Advertisements
DD's hair was probably 3 inches long at birth. It was wavy and plastered to her head - sort of like it was slicked down - LOL. After her first bath, it curled right up. It's still curly, but usually it's only semi-tightly curled on bath day. The other days it's very messily curled. The last week or so, even when I wet it and put lotion and oil in it, it's still not as nice as when it's just washed and lotioned and oiled. I only wash it once a week. For now, I use Burt's Bee's shampoo and baby body wash. I like it, but I do think DD will need conditioner only as she gets older. She is full AA so I think shampoo might be a bit much unless her hair is awfully dirty.
I have 2 BR dd's. My first was a cue ball until she was almost two so no help there! At 3 she has very tight curls and her texture is different all over her head. I love her curls though! My second had a head full of hair - perfectly straight at birth. It is curly now, but not like her sister's. Still very, very silky with perfect ringlets you could put your finger through.
Every kiddo is different!
straight then, curly now (though she is losing a lot of her "curls" as her hair gets longer...still haven't gotten around to cutting it and she turned 3 in may!).
Advertisements
Thanks for the replies, we just weren't sure what to expect. I know newborn hair changes regardless. It did curl slightly after the bath, but then it went straight again.
DS had straight hair too but now it's very curly! He also had a head full of hair. AA hair usually gets curlier after a few months. Happened with all my sisters etc...
My cousins and I pretty much all had straight, or very loose curls when we born. The curls tightened as we got older. From what I know in my own family, it's common that there is more coarseness in the back, than in the front. We call that back area "the kitchen". I never found out why we call it that. I just remember my mother, aunts and grandmothers doing my hair saying things like "we got to straighten out that kitchen" when going through my hair with hot combs. Oh the grease popping. The holding down of my ears so they wouldn't get burned. I do not miss those days and I am so happy to have my hair natural and in dreads.
DS's hair was straight and soft at birth, curly and soft within a couple of months, and then became "highly textured" (tight coarse curls) by the time he was one. He is 21 mo. now and I have loc'd his hair as I felt it would be easier to deal with with a new baby.
DD is only 6 weeks old. Her hair was straight at birth and it is already quite curly. I can't wait to style her hair when she is older!
Advertisements
DDs hair was straight at birth, started curling at about 4 months and is beautiful loose curls now at a year and a half. FDs hair straight at birth, curled when wet then went straight again, now at 4 months retains more curl, about half curled and half straight. LOL
Jack's was fine and straight. It curled up when it got wet. At about one year, it started to wave, and by 15 months, he had wavy hair. People started wondering if he was a girl, so we took him for a haircut. All the straight went away, and it's now completely curly. It's not as fine, but it's not brittle either. We don't need to condition it.
[url=http://www.rmcsquared.net/jackspage/haircut/index.html]Jack's First Hair Cut[/url]