Advertisements
Advertisements
Viewing Single Post
Hey all...this hasn't happened in a long time, but I feel it's worthy of a thread anyway...so we can share our thoughts.
When my daughter first moved in, she ALWAYS wanted to sit on my husband's lap. What daughter doesn't, right?
Well, I put a stop to it and except from my mom, who was very supportive of my decision (but she also knew the circumstances), everyone else I knew would get in an uproar about me not allowing my daughter to sit on daddy's lap.
I NEVER disclosed WHY I wouldn't allow it to happen...I would just explain that at her age (10), I felt it unacceptable for a girl to sit on her dad's lap because of how close it is to his "manhood" and that any woman knows that even a breeze of wind can make it "stir", and I didn't want hubby or daughter in an embarrassing situation.
That's not the reason though...she was SA by a family friend, and never had a dad in the picture, and was subject to watching bmom maul and grope her boyfriend.
It was more to protect hubby from any possible inappropriate touching from daughter because at the time, I didn't "know" her to know if she would or not.
Also, because her SA happened by being on the abuser's lap at a drive-in, I didn't want her to have some sort of trauma about sitting on dad's lap.
So...what do we do? Deny our child a basic right because someone else has taken away their "innocence", or succumb to others who say it's wrong to do so without explaining the whole situation?
I know now (looking back over the 2 years) she just innocently was glad to finally have a dad and loves him dearly...but at that point in the adoption, there were no boundaries on physical contact and love, etc. yet.
Personally, I feel I did the right thing...but just needed to share and hear from others about what they would have done (or will do if you're not at this point yet).
Thanks!