Advertisements
Advertisements
I thought that I would share this interesting article with the forum readers. It talks about how Obama's election was addressed in Christian churches throughout the nation today, and notes the differences between predominantly black and predominantly white churches.
[url=http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5jckHBXEsdwMCU88AHdLU-7CrHHCAD94BN33G0]The Associated Press: Churches across America reflect on Obama election[/url]
I found this article disturbing and distorting in that it continues to make it seem like only Black people elected Obama or are happy about him.
As a white middle class woman who is ECSTATIC to see Obama at the helm, I would have liked to invite the writer of that article to my temple or to the churches of some of my friends, where there were lots of white people joyfully thanking g-d for the fulfillment of a dream and the opportunity to see our country back on track in terms of caring about people first, corporations second, and restoring the world's confidence in the United States.
Advertisements
I'm sorry to sound picky because I don't think you meant it the way it came out, but I don't think this article "notes the differences between predominantly black and predominantly white churches." It notes the differences between a few churches with a predominantly black, pro-Obama congregation and a few churches with a predominantly white, anti-Obama congregation. It is not a comparison of black churches generally vs. white churches generally. Frankly, the scope of both groups is so vast, I don't think such a comparison could be made that is valid. I live in a pretty white state, and virtually all the congregations of Christian denominations are predominantly white and the majority are pro-Obama.