Advertisements
Advertisements
I was thinking I had read a couple years ago on an attachment disorder website a letter composed to give to teachers about children who have RAD. Trying to find it now without success.
I help with a Sunday School class. There is a new girl who has RAD. Actually, it is an acquaintance of mine who is adoptiong the five year old girl. She told me today she has RAD. In the class, at the end, the teacher (I am an aide) was holding the girl in her lap.
I thought this was a no-no in trying to build attachment. So I was trying to remember other things. Can anyone give me some pointers as to what I should do or not do as a family acquaintance or as a teacher?
I asked my friend if they had found an attachment therapist, and she said they found one that knows some about RAD but is quite far away. How did you find an attachment therapist?
Thanks for any pointers!
The teacher should not have that child on her lap. Listen and believe what mom tells you, no matter what you think you see. If mom seems overly angry, it's because the child is acting up horribly at home. Hug MOM, not the kid.
Oil and Water is one of the teacher letters. There may be something on Debra Hage's website as well(google her)
As for finding a therapist, you might try contacting someone at [url=http://www.radzebra.org]Welcome to Attachment & Trauma Network - ATN[/url] . You might want to give the mom that website as they have PARENT support groups for mom's of kids with rad.
Advertisements