Advertisements
Advertisements
I don't know much about the Jewish faith, but I have a Jewish friend that is expecting after a LONG battle with infertility (YAY!!!!!!!!). She is 7.5 months and everything is looking EXCELLENT.
I want to get her something SUPER SPECIAL. I made the mistake of asking about baby showers and gift registries and she told me that Jewish people don't do those things... which is fine. But I can certainly buy here a gift, right?
I want to get her something that honors her faith, honors her plight to give birth to this angel and something to show her how much I care about her and how happy I am for her...
I would appreciate any and all ideas!
Thanks!
Jewish people have a Briss after the baby is born but I found a book that may be what you're looking for.
[url=http://www.powells.com/cgi-bin/biblio?inkey=2-0811827895-2]Powell's Books - Jewish Mothers: Strength, Wisdom, Compassion by Lloyd Wolf[/url]
Advertisements
Fe2002, I am from Israel and it is the habit not to buy ANYTHING before the birth of the baby. (Well, we place an order to a babyshop for crib, bottles etc. but it does not get delivered until baby is born). I don't know exactly why we have this custom but if you think about it, it actually makes sense.
I suggest you to just wait until the baby is born and everything is ok before you give your friend a gift.
About the gift itself: If you want to give a gift which is typically Jewish, you might consider buying her e.g. a set of Shabbat candle holders. We have the habit to light two candles every Friday night. Some families light additional candles for every child in the family so that's why I thought that it might be a nice gift
(you can read more about Shabbat candles by googling "shabbat candles" - I found the second link by Chabad very useful)
All the best to you and your friend!:flower:
Many Jewish people don't buy anything until after the baby is born. It is a superstition, but a strongly felt one. I, personally, would not give her anything until after the baby is born. It might really stress her out to get something before, especially after a long struggle with infertility.
As for what to get her, maybe a necklace with her birthstone and the baby's? Or some kind of necklace that relates to the baby- I have seen double hearts or a baby shoe, etc.
Thank you for the responses. This has been very educational! I will definitely wait before buying her a gift...
I love the book rec and also the candles. I found this Shabbat candleholder...
[url=http://www.zionjudaica.com/Pewter_Candlesticks___Our_Love-3625.asp]Pewter Candlesticks - Our Love[/url]
It's out of stock right now, which is fine since I plan to wait until the baby is born. But what do you think of this holder? It seems appropriate, but I don't know if it's too literal...
I'm definitely ordering the book, just need to find the perfect candleholder.
Fe2002, I really love the candle holder! So beautiful. I hope I'll get one of those when our second adoption comes through :)
Advertisements
There is no actual religious prohibition on baby showers and pre-birth gifts.
However, many Jews, like many Christians, worry about how they might feel, seeing all the baby supplies, if something went wrong and there was a miscarriage or stillbirth. This feeling can be particularly strong in people who have a history of miscarriage or stillbirth; they know what it feels like to prepare for a baby and then lose one.
Also, many Jews, like many Christians, have a certain amount of superstition, relating to the fact that mentioning the baby or having visible preparations for a birth might cause an evil force -- Lilith, the Devil, the Evil Eye, the Angel of Death, or whatever -- to find and harm the child. In some Jewish communities -- for example, in Morocco -- there are actual ceremonies designed to drive Lilith away from newborns. And in other communities, people put Jewish ritual objects and copies of psalms in the newborn's room, to protect him/her from harm.
Regardless of whether you, personally, believe in these traditions, you should honor your friend's wishes not to have a baby shower or get gifts before the ceremony. Particularly because the couple has had difficulty conceiving, the impending birth is cause for great anxiety, as well as great joy.
A Jewish religious object is always a good gift. You might buy a mezuzah with a child theme, that can be hung on the doorpost of the baby's room. While the mezuzah is really intended to remind people that they are Jews and to observe the commandments, many people view it as a sort of amulet that protects a Jewish home from harm. This would be very appropriate given your friend's frame of mind -- wanting to protect this very special baby.
And while, technically, mezuzot are needed only for doors leading to the outside, it is very common in Orthodox homes to hang mezuzot on all room doors, except those leading to bathrooms. It is increasingly common in non-Orthodox homes to hang mezuzot on the doors to children's rooms, to encourage them to think about being Jewish
A menorah with a child theme -- Noah's Ark is a common one -- makes a nice present, since every member of a family often has his/her own menorah to use on Chanukah. A menorah, or chanukiah, is a candle holder with eight regular spaces and a space for a "shamash", or "leader" candle that lights all the others. While Chanukah is a relatively minor holiday, it is very popular in the U.S., because it usually falls around Christmas and gives kids an alternative to what is going on in the majority culture.
For a girl, Shabbat candlesticks might be a nice gift, especially if they are ones that she might use once she grows to adulthood. It would be a very special gift if you are very close to the family and hope to be a big part of the child's life. It is not customary to give candlesticks to a boy, since it is usually the woman who is responsible for lighting them, in an observant home.
You might give the baby an attractive tzedakah box with a dollar bill or two in it, to encourage her to think of those less fortunate than herself, when she is older. Many traditional Jews place money in a tzedakah box before Shabbat every week, to give to a charity.
You can find mezuzot, menorahs, tzedakah boxes, candlesticks, and so on in Jewish bookstores and Jewish gift shops, and in gift shops within larger synagogues. Look, if possible, for items made in Israel. Ask the shopkeeper what he/she recommends, if you have any questions about appropriateness. You can also order on line, from American and Israeli companies.
If you live near a Jewish bookstore or a large synagogue that has a gift shop, you might want to find a bunch of paperback children's Jewish books, for use when the child gets a little older. The Sammy Spider series is rather cute, but there are lots of others. Some are aimed at the general Jewish population, but there are also some that are best for Orthodox boys and girls. They tend to teach little messages about Jewish tradition.
Some Jewish or Israeli stores sell framed pictures with Jewish themes, appropriate to a child's bedroom. Some pictures may contain a prayer for the child; I had one for baby girls on my daughter's room wall. If you can find one that goes with the nursery decor, I'd highly recommend it.
By the way, given the increasing number of families formed by transracial adoption, you can OCCASIONALLY find items with non-White Jewish children pictured. We have a small wall plaque showing two Asian children lighting a menorah.
Of course, you don't have to give a Jewish gift. Many people, Jewish and non-Jewish, feel awkward about giving a gift related to a tradition that is not their own, and that is perfectly OK. While we gave a small gold cross on a chain to a close friend's daughter on the occasion of her First Communion, many Jews would not feel comfortable doing so, just as many non-Jews would not feel comfortable giving a Jewish child a Jewish star necklace or a Jewish ritual object.
In that case, it is perfectly appropriate to buy almost anything you want for the baby, or to give the family a series of "coupons" that you create, offering such things as an evening of babysitting so the parents can go to a movie. While some people buy a grocery order for the parents-to-be, so that shopping doesn't need to be on the agenda when the baby first comes home, you should not do so if the family keeps Kosher, unless there is a Kosher supermarket near you. Do not give a fruit basket, as that tends to be what Americans give newly bereaved families during the shivah period.
I hope this helps.
Sharon
Jewish religious objects always make for great gifts. A mezuza is an option, and is a symbol of protection placed on the entrance of the home and other rooms within the house. Another gift you may be interested in is Shabbat candles, which are lit every Friday night.
She might also like a hamsa which you could get as a charm for a necklace. It's an upside down hand and often has an eye in the middle. I forget what it means exactly, but it's a symbol you see a lot and you could probably find the meaning on google.
The word Hamsa/Khamsah/Chamsah (the Het/Khet/Chet consonant cannot be accurately transliterated to Latin script) means "five" in Arabic. The object called by that name is believed to keep the Evil Eye away. This was an Islamic tradition before it was adopted by the North African Jewish communities. See [URL="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hamsa"]Hamsa - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/URL]
You can buy all kinds of Hamsot here in Israel to hang on a wall, to protect your home or at least make it more colorful. Some of the ones made of colored glass or ceramics are very pretty.
Indeed, buying anything before the baby is born is a "no-no".
Advertisements
So I saw this thread and ran to it to share all I had learned years ago... and found it was my old thread asking for advice! Ha! Well, I might as well update....
She had a baby boy.. and I can't stress enough just how friggin GORGEOUS he is... Lil dude is about 3 years old right now and breaking hearts all over the place. My friend was a little on the older side when she gave birth and I have to say, she looks 10 years YOUNGER after giving birth.
Wow, I was replying to an old thread!?!
Thanks for the update, sorry for being three years late with the advice.
hey.
i think its a great idea as a present to a new mom..
im sending you a link to a [URL="http://www.jesusboat.com/judaica/menorah"]judaica shop[/URL] for some ideas, i personally baught some things here as a present..
good luck
Advertisements
Shalom!
We are a new brand located in Israel. Our online store features a collection of fashion jewelry, accessories & judaica, created by talented Israeli designers. All of our products are designed and manufactured in Israel, so when you shop at IVRIA you support Israel - the fashionable way!
Please share our website with your friends and congregation members.
[url=http://www.ivria.com]IVRIA[/url]