Advertisements
Advertisements
Anyone know any fun Polish Easter traditions? My son says all he remembers is going to church.
Dyngus Day is the day after Easter. It is the celebration of the end of Lent. If you look it up on line, is says something like the the women get out buckets and brooms and scrub their porches and sidewalks and the men run around trying to spank them. However here where I live it is a celebration where everyone eats, drinks and makes Merry. Lots of hard boiled eggs, Kelbasa and perogies.
Have fun.
Advertisements
Easter Saturday you go to church with your Easter basket "Święconka" to have food blessed by the priest. You keep your Easter basket as the table decoration till Sunday morning when it becomes part of the Easter Sunday Brunch. Easter Basket is lined up with crisp linen napkin and has painted hard boiled eggs PisankaӔ, dried kielbasa, bread , salt and pepper, piece of easter babka cake, lamb made out of sugar ( not a must ). One egg from the basket is cut in as many pieces as there are people eating Easter Sunday Brunch and each person eats that piece of egg and this is how you start your meal.
Monday is Śmigus-dyngusӔ or Lany PoniedziałekӔ favourite day for kids. On this day you can play with water gun and wet each other. My parent used to wake me up that day spraying little water on me and saying Śmigus-dyngus.