Advertisements
Advertisements
I am looking for fun places to take my 8 year old who is in a wheelchair. He has no legs and only one arm. Six flags we tried, but they won't let him on most of the rides. We tried bowling and he got bored. Mini golf was not very accessable. Many meuseum exibits, even in children's museums were hard for him to see from his chair. He is easily bored. I am thinking a zoo would be a good place, but where else?
I don't know how close you are to any of these, or if M would be interested.
[URL="http://www.thenewparentsguide.com/vacations-texas.htm"]Texas Travel Guide for Fun Family Vacations in Texas[/URL]
It has a very impressive list of things to do, just don't know how accomodating they would be. Shoot I'd love to visit alot of them myself.
Advertisements
Thanks, I will look at the list. I think his problem is mostly that he is one age chronologically and cognatively (8) but emotionally he is more like 4, and his size is closer to that of a four year old too.
This summer we took Pixie to a place called "Bounce Depot". It had lots and lots of inflatable games, ball pits, mazes, etc. And there were a variety of sizes of equipment, so though he might have to be on some that was designed for slightly younger children... he might still have fun!
does he qualify for Special Olympics? They might have some ideas for sports he would like.
I will have to look for one of those bouncy places, he seems to like things geared for preschoolers. Though he won't admit it. Because he has no mental disability, he does not qualify for special olympics. Pysical disabilities and mental illness don't qualify them.
Advertisements
We have this same problem. I think my DD is very similar to your son in her physical limitations. I don't know where you are in texas but San Antonio has a number of wheel chair accessible things to do. Sea World would be excellent. THere is a really accesssible hotel that is out in the country (but near San Antonio) that has a lame lazy river (that I think he could do in a kids float--the 22 inch kind you buy at Walmart). THere is good music in family friendly "bars"
Can he swim? You might try getting him special needs swimming lessons. They are usually 1 on 1. I know those have been good for my daughter because they take into account her uniqueness in a way that other disabled activities really can't.
I know its a trek for you but he would actually GET special treatment at Disney World. And Daytona Beach is very close to there and you can drive onto the beach which makes it extremely wheel chair accessible. Maybe that is a family trip (or a special trip with just you, in an airplane) that he can work towards earning by not puking and eating for the rest of the summer. Then you could let him miss a week of school mid september (when its cooled off and the crowds have thinned out) and you can take him to Disney for a week.
Someone from here posted about this place on Facebook. I thought of you when I saw it.
[url=http://www.morganswonderland.com/Morgans-Wonderland-Grand-Opening-Countdown.html]Morgan's Wonderland - The World's First Ultra Accessible Family Fun Park[/url]
Also, Do you have Blaze sports in your area. Its the feeder organization to the Paraolymipics. DD was in that when she had near normal intellectual function. They provided the equipment and everyone was in wheelchairs. I suspect they could provide a one armed wheel chair.
We are planning a trip to Morgan's wonderland. It looks perfect. No blaze sports near us. He has liked Challenger baseball, up until this year. This year we are not doing it for two reasons. One, he is ultra competitive and they don't even keep score and that hasn't bothered him till this year when he figured it out. He just decided his team always won, LOL. He is no longer interested in "just for fun" and was practicing his "trash talking", which I had told him was not allowed, but I could tell by his attitude he was still planning to try. Also he was unable to make friends on the team, most of the kids are autistic and because he is loud and can be obnoxious they don't want to be around him. The other reason is it's an hours drive away and we have discovered that if he does not get enough sleep his behavior gets worse. They have evening practice on school nights which would get him home too late, and then early Saturday morning games, and we try to get him to sleep in a little on Saturdays. We will see how the summer goes and plan a trip to Morgans, it will probably have to be a surprise or he will sabotage it.
I second the Sea World suggestion. We just did this over spring break and it was great. I went with my family and between us there were 7 kids between the ages of 15 and 5. There was something for all of them. The shows are fun and they have accessible seating at the top. It is out of the "splash zone" but designed in a way that there is still a good view.
I'm not sure about the power chair (because it would get really wet), but in a manual chair he could probably do the splash pad area. It is a water play area where there are sprayers and buckets that dump water that sort of thing.
There are also roller coasters, and a water park. We split into groups and let the bigger kids do the roller coasters and the little ones do other things.
Advertisements
We might try that, we did it with my other kids before we got him. DD liked it except that she was too short for the roller coasters and she did the splash stuff without her prosthetics and her knees got torn up.
M can swim, but the problem is he has no body fat at all so he gets cold really fast, even in Texas when it's 100 degrees outside he will start shivering when he gets wet. We might try it anyway, he would be too short for the rollercoasters and they won't let him ride those anyway becasue he has no lap for the lap bars to hold him in so they are not safe. The RAD complicates things because he tends to get angry if anyone else gets to do something he can't do. (even when it's because he's too young or a boy or something he hates, LOL)
On the east side of cleveland, there is an entire playground that is wheelchair accessible. I haven't taken the kids there before, but apparently its really cool, wheelchair or not. Might be worth a google, if there's one maybe there are more around.
Warriors Path State Park in East Tn, has a "Boundless" play ground for SN's kids. We will be going there in June..as well as other places. It looks awesome. They even have "Braile Trails", fishing, olympic size swimming pool, marina golf, frisbee golf and so much more. This park along with services and schools, has us very seriously thinking about switching ends of the state. We have nothing here for SN kids.
Darrell's Dream Boundless Playground opened at Warriors' Path in April 2007 featuring a variety of outdoor recreation experiences for children of all abilities. Warriors' Path was the first state park in the nation to provide a Boundless Playground for visitors. A Lions Narnia Braille Trail opened at Warriors' Path on April 14, 2009 with eight sensory stations along a quarter-mile, wheelchair-accessible Trail that tell visitors the story of Aslan, the lion in C.S. Lewis' Chronicles of Narnia fantasy. Each station has an exhibit, a large-print sign with Braille, and speaker with push button that activates an audio theatrical recording
A link to some pics..
[url=http://www.easttennesseewildflowers.com/gallery/view_photo.php?set_albumName=Warriors_Path_SP&id=DSC00250]Gallery :: Warriors Path State Park :: DSC00250[/url]
My kids will LOVE it! A picnic, some playing, some fishing (a first for my kids) situated in the mountains..what more could you ask for...Can ya tell I'm excited!
Advertisements
There is SO many things in E Tn. Just 11 miles from Warriors Path is Bays Moutain.
Bays Mountain Park, located in beautiful [URL="http://www.ci.kingsport.tn.us"]Kingsport, Tennessee,[/URL] is a 3500 acre nature preserve and the largest city owned park in the state of Tennessee. The Park features a picturesque 44 acre lake, a Nature Center with a state-of-the-art Planetarium Theater, and Animal Habitats featuring wolves, bobcats, raptors and reptiles.
[url=http://www.baysmountain.com/]Bays Mountain Park and Planetarium[/url]
Why do I feel like I'm doing a vacation commercial for E. Tn? :)
I see from your blog that you are in TX. A wonderful park opened up near San Antonio that may fit your bill... [url=http://www.morganswonderland.com/]Morgan's Wonderland - The World's First Ultra Accessible Family Fun Park[/url]