Advertisements
Advertisements
Well my social worker called today with some really bad information. In order for my home study to be approved I need like 20 thousand dollars in my savings account. I don't really understand it. I mean I know it makes sense to have it but I didn't think it was required in the beginning. I have done some research looking at adoption grants and what not and for all of them you need a completed home study. The social worker said that adoptions range from $2,000 to $30,000 in general and they expect closer to the highest range in your savings account.
My social worker and I had talked about the fact that I might look into foster care but I am afraid I will have to do the finger printing and everything else all over again. Im just not having a good day. I just feel like I have spent $3100 dollars for nothing.
That seems to be a really large amount needed for a home study to be approved. Is this a social worker for an agency ? Is she an independent social worker ? I would call different home study agencies and see if they all had the same requirements.
I wish you the best of luck.
Advertisements
I would look for another agency. That seems like a lot of money required up front. There are agencies who would work with you. So sorry for this setback and that they didn't tell you this up front before you spent the money for them to do the homestudy. It sounds like an ethical question to me and a reason not to trust them ... I hope you can find a way forward.
I thought this was a large amount as well. They don't expect it all until I get matched which could be a while since I don't even know what agency I am going with. I was going to go with the agency that is doing my homestudy but they have a waiting list so I was looking at other agencies.
Like I said I know that it makes sense to have the full amount but I was counting on applying for some grants, but you need an approved home study. I guess I really need to call other agencies and see what I can find out.
:hissy:
That sounds like wack to me !
is this an international adoption ?
our homestudy was done through a local agency and it cost us nothing !! sure some adoptions might cost $$$
but not that much. We certainly don't have 20 grand laying around...who does these days ? I'm also worried about the 3100 you spent already. where do you live ?
I'm sure there are better, more reasonable agencies in your area. I know it's frustrating...we are now open and have already ran into some roadblocks,..but keep your head up.look into state agencies and your local county ones.there has to be a better way !!! God Bless, hope it comes through for you.
Can you get a "line of credit" for that amount at your bank? Would that satisfy them?
Advertisements
[FONT="Tahoma"]That seems like an awfully large sum of money to require someone to have in the bank...what are they expecting? technically even if you get your home study through that company you do not have to adopt through that company. And just to have your home study approved NO MONEY should be required. They are just approving you because you'd be a qualified parent NOT how rich you are...Personally I would even though it is a longer process, would go through a different agency...They seem like they are trying to rip you off...
Good Luck[/FONT]
Every home study agency has their own requirements, just as every adoption agency has their own requirements. Some requirements are arbitrary and you really ask yourself how they came up with that stuff. For example, many adoption agencies discriminate anybody who is not Christian so since I am Jewish, I am automatically not qualified in their eyes to adopt a child (in their eyes, but not in the eyes of God ...). Luckily, there is an abundance of agencies to choose from so I don't need to bother with them.
My home study agency did not have requirements on my savings account. I would not waste my time on a home study agency who has weird requirements. Their fees seems WAY of the top, too. RUN! There are tons of other agencies out there.