Advertisements
Advertisements
Anyone know what happens if the birthparents state they want to parent, yet the child is taken into protective custody, and the bio's never named the baby at birth?...As a fosterparent we are told we cannot name the baby until adoption.. so do you just make up a name for the baby but not legalize/formalize it?
Our AD almost came to us unnamed. Biomom was court ordered to name her and finally did but her middle name was slang for the drug of choice. Needless to say, we changed her name at adoption.
Advertisements
My fd came to us without a name and bm still hasn't filled out a birthcertificate. However, bm did pick a name and it's used on court documents and is her "official" name eventhough she's still Baby Girl ________ on her medical card etc.
We have been calling her a name we picked because we didn't know the bm's choice until we had been calling her the name we chose for several months because how demeaning to be called Baby Girl as a name. Of course they still call her that (Baby Girl ________) at her medical appointments since it's on her medical card. It's a litlle embarassing, mothers in the doctor's waiting room look at me like "what's with her naming her child "Baby Girl"?!
Mamachell - A woman had the same issue at her child's doctor's office, so she talked to the doctor and head nurse and explained the situation and they immediately started calling solely by his last name when calling him into the back. THe doctor referred to the child by the name my friend had given him during the visit.
Everyone usually uses whatever name the FP gives the child and on all legal documents it just says Baby Boy or Girl Last Name.
they have that problem at the county hospital in my county so instead of John and Jane, the county SWs "name" kids and it goes by the alphabet....they had one the other week my CW was saying and they were at letter "P" so the boy became Baby Phillip....
He's already gone to his PAP
If you have a baby that the bio mom WANTS to parent, but she hasn't filled out a birth certificate, surely the SW can ASK her what she wants the child to be called? I can only imagine a child having NO name if mom runs - but in that case, she isn't trying to get her child back.
ps - on the topic of it being demeaning to call a child "baby girl" - I've known LOTS of girls with names who get called baby girl as a nickname anyway!
Advertisements
both bios will not be parenting (99% for sure)....TPR scheduled. But both mom and dad have given a few different names for the child.. they won't just give one. But neither of them were willing to complete the info on the birth certificate (it wasn't done at the hospital).
stevenstwin
If you have a baby that the bio mom WANTS to parent, but she hasn't filled out a birth certificate, surely the SW can ASK her what she wants the child to be called? I can only imagine a child having NO name if mom runs - but in that case, she isn't trying to get her child back.
ps - on the topic of it being demeaning to call a child "baby girl" - I've known LOTS of girls with names who get called baby girl as a nickname anyway!
excited2adoptsoon
both bios will not be parenting (99% for sure)....TPR scheduled. But both mom and dad have given a few different names for the child.. they won't just give one. But neither of them were willing to complete the info on the birth certificate (it wasn't done at the hospital).
Sad! Well, I'd say you can pretty much pick a nickname for now!
We had a fs that had no name. On his b-certificate it stated Baby Boy and the last name. Becouse his b-certificate stated that, his medicaid card also had Baby Boy and last name. Becouse medicaid card had that all his doctor and legal paper work had to be Baby Boy and last name. It was very sad. B-parents had choosen a couple to adopt him, but baby came early, so ss got involved and b-parents refused to name him. We asked the couple what name they were planning and called him that. His dr also made a note on his file and called him by what the couple choosen. He was with us for 3 months when he finally went with the couple. Six months later they adopted him, but for his first 9 months of his life he was considered Baby Boy and last name.
We had a fs that had no name. On his b-certificate it stated Baby Boy and the last name. Becouse his b-certificate stated that, his medicaid card also had Baby Boy and last name. Becouse medicaid card had that all his doctor and legal paper work had to be Baby Boy and last name. It was very sad. B-parents had choosen a couple to adopt him, but baby came early, so ss got involved and b-parents refused to name him. We asked the couple what name they were planning and called him that. His dr also made a note on his file and called him by what the couple choosen. He was with us for 3 months when he finally went with the couple. Six months later they adopted him, but for his first 9 months of his life he was considered Baby Boy and last name.
Advertisements
mamachell
My fd came to us without a name and birthmom still hasn't filled out a birthcertificate. However, birthmom did pick a name and it's used on court documents and is her "official" name eventhough she's still Baby Girl ________ on her medical card etc.
We have been calling her a name we picked because we didn't know the birthmom's choice until we had been calling her the name we chose for several months because how demeaning to be called Baby Girl as a name. Of course they still call her that (Baby Girl ________) at her medical appointments since it's on her medical card. It's a litlle embarassing, mothers in the doctor's waiting room look at me like "what's with her naming her child "Baby Girl"?!
WOW! They won't change it on the folder? My doc's office calls my FS by the name we call him, not his "official" name (although they are similar). If your son had a Jr. name and went by his middler name the doctor would change it then (to reflect what name he WANTS to be called). That just seems so WEIRD that they wouldn't call the child something besides "baby girl."
stevenstwin
on the topic of it being demeaning to call a child "baby girl" - I've known LOTS of girls with names who get called baby girl as a nickname anyway!
Our daughter, who is now almost 2, is our bio baby. Her official name is Caralina Elizabeth, shortened to CaraBeth, but usually called Baby Girl. Our son was 18, months old when she was born. We mention she was a baby girl to him and he has called her that since day one. It drives my dad nuts and he is the only one that uses her real name all the time. Most other people switch between CaraBeth, CB, and Baby Girl. She answers to all of them.
quiescentfury
Our daughter, who is now almost 2, is our bio baby. Her official name is Caralina Elizabeth, shortened to CaraBeth.
That's a beautiful name. I might have to steal that name if I have another daughter! :)
Ours, I thought, came to us unnamed. The paperwork from the hospital said,
mom's last name, girl
One nurse told me baby was not named.
The SW said that meant she wasn't named.
Then on discharge, another nurse said, no, mom named her " ."
The county gave me yet another name for medical and said they made it up. We only used the made up name to establish day care, and called her what we wanted. We joked that she had a rock star alias. We asked for b/c several times to get a SS# but were told it had private info on it.
Now, that we are finalizing, we discovered she was "named" and had a pretty first name. We, however, will continue to call her what we have been.
Since we are on the subject, I will ask this question now. When I write my first update to BM, should I call her "baby girl", use the name she gave, or use her current name?
Advertisements
carlychan,
To clarify, the doctor does call her the name we've given her but in the reception area, they still do call her Baby Girl ______ to come into the doctor's office.
I only refer to her as the bio-mom's name when speaking with the CW. Originally we were told we would be able to adopt and since the baby didn't have a birth certificate (long story) or any official name, we felt comfortable using a name we chose. It was only later that we learned bm had chosen a name. But, unfortunately, I really don't like the name. It sounds very "adult" (think adult entertainment industry) and not what I would see as a name for a little baby. She's the bm so she can choose whatever name she likes, please don't think I'm judging harshly but it is very hard for me to change now.
Our AD was "found" within an hour of her birth in a none "safe surrender" location and was taken to hospital from there. No bios were ever found so at 3 days old when the SW discharged her from hospital before bringing her to us she named her "Baby UNID", but we just referred to her as the name we would eventually legally change it to after adoption. However her Medi-Cal card and what not still had her listed until that time as Baby UNID. It drove me nuts, but the doctors office which we took her to was always willing to call her in by OUR name for her, rather than the other one.