Advertisements
Advertisements
That is a tough one, and you will get different answers.
My experience... my oldest came to live with us when he was eleven months old. Today, at age 14, he is an extremely well adjusted child. His Bmom has many mental health issues. The most we notice with him is a bit of impulsiveness. He did have ADHD issues when younger, but these were basically handled through some different parenting approaches, and we never had to use medication. Otherwise, he is perfect, and shows no signs of issues with mental health. We do not know who his bfather is, so although I can give you no direct history, I am sure that his mental health is not all that great, given that anyone who would be this close to the bmother probably has some issues as well.
We are in the process of adopting his biological (half) sister. She is 12, and came to live with us around three months ago. She lived with Bmom for 8 years. She has multiple issues, among the worst, severe ADHD. They felt that there were many others as well, but as she has been with us, in a stable, loving home, many of these are fading. We are gradually refining (eleminating) many of her medications, but I can tell you that the ADHD meds will not be going away right off. Many of her issues appear to be related to past abuse, and poor parenting, and I think that we can make it through them.
It seems that you have your son young enough, that you may be fine as well. And then again, remember, that there are many people with biological children that develop mental health problems. He is probably too young for you to pick up on anything right now.