Advertisements
Advertisements
And thought I should stop in here and say hello afterall! It has been one week that I am on the accelerated Goldfarb protocol and I think it's coming along without a hitch. I just got the info for a GREAT lactation consultant from what I hear. I think I am noticing tissue changes too but can't be sure.
Anyhow, glad to be here!
I have seen several moms try to feed with bottles and get the baby to take the breast, in addition to that. I haven't seen many get very far without using a Lact-Aid or SNS, unless they were all ready producing quite a bit of milk, to start with. Most newborns will accept the breast with no milk coming from it. However, they will learn to do non-nutritive suckling, which does not stimulate milk production as well. What usually happens is that the baby will comfort nurse at the breast, but only for the first few months. This is actually pretty much what happened with my first baby. I had a hard time with Lact-Aid, didn't want to let anyone know I was nursing, and didn't think I had any milk. That comfort nursing was still beneficial, with bonding. I was especially thankful for it when he got his first set of immunizations. He had a bad reaction and screamed all night, except when on the breast. He refused his bottle. By the time he was three months old, however, we weren't nursing at all, any more. Some kids will keep comfort nursing longer, but you can't predict that. It really depends a lot on what your goals are. If you want to establish a long term breastfeeding situation, beyond the first few months, and a significant milk supply, I strongly suggest using the Lact-Aid. Many moms have figured out how to use it, and you can too! I not only figured it out, but got where I could literally put one together in the dark without putting down the baby.
You don't have to nurse for every feeding. It is permissable to use an occasional bottle, if someone is around that you aren't comfortable nursing in front of. It may reduce your milk supply, a little bit, but you will certainly produce more milk by nursing with the Lact-Aid three fourths of the time and giving a few bottles, than if you bottle feed all the time. Also, what I found was that, once I got the nerve to start nursing in front of people, it really wasn't nearly as hard as I thought it would be. People were much more accepting than I expected, too.
The Lact-Aids are really quite easy to clean, much easier than the SNS, and no more difficult than cleaning bottles. You need a syringe, which comes with the kit, and a pipe cleaner. It is much easier if you have six or more complete units, so you only have to clean them once or twice a day. You can get the deluxe kit, which has two complete units, and then the package of four units that Lact-Aid offers. That is more economical than getting more kits. What I did was get a bowl of water and throw the Lact-Aids into it when I was finished with them, to avoid milk getting dried in them. When they were all dirty, I replaced the water with hot water with a few drops of detergent in it. I lined up all of the main bodies, upside down, in one hand, sucked up some water in the syringe, and then forced water through each, until they ran clear. That takes only a few seconds. Then, I threw all of the pieces into the bowl. I didn't put anything into the water until I had flushed out the feeding tubes, to avoid getting any little bits of dried milk that happened to be in the extension tubes into it. Next, I lined up the extension tubes in my hand and popped the pipe cleaner through each one. Then, I ran the end of the pipe cleaner under the edge of the Lact-Aid body, where the bag attaches. I just briefly rubbed each of the clamping tubes and the outsides of the bodies. Then, I replaced the water with clear, hot water, swished it all around, and then forced a little water through the feeding tubes. It didn't take any longer for me to clean six of them than it just did for me to type this. In addition, I boiled them with a little vinegar about once every two weeks. It is also easier to fill all of them at once, after cleaning, rather than individually. Another option for dealing with Lact-Aids is to try to get your husband to take over that part.
When my babies got a little bit older, I started reusing each one,with the bag, once, kind of like adding milk to bottles. I would just refill them right after we got done with one. However, if one ended up sitting around for a while, I didn't reuse it. This isn't what the manufacturer recommends, but quite a few moms do that, or rinse the bags out and reuse them.
I suspect that your nine year old will accept an explanation of what you are doing, too, and maybe even be willing to help out with things, so that you can relax and nurse. I found that my older kids were quite proud of it, really.
Maybe spending some time, now, practicing cleaning and putting together Lact-Aids will help ease your mind. You can practice getting the tube positioned, with a breast pump, to give you an idea of how it works with a baby.
Try not to worry!
Darillyn
Advertisements
rd200
So how do you clean it? just run everything under hot water and run hot water in it? or do you need to use detergent every time? I guess i never thought about the fact that i would have to clean it everytime i nurse. Which would be alot of times a day when on maternity leave. How many do you have? I want to try it without, but i dont think it will work honestly. I dont think the baby will stay latched on. It stinks cuz i want to start pumping asap cuz the baby is due in 2 weeks now, but i am still on the pill for another 2 weeks!!! It stinks, i wont have any time to build a supply.
I did get some donated breastmilk today but it will only last for about 3 weeks. But never the less i am very thankful that i have it. Thanks, Rachel
I only had 2 set ups, so I would have to clean them every time and that was the pain. The actual cleaning isn't hard. If I could go back I would get between 6-8 set ups that way I could clean them once a day. The actual unit is very easy to use and if you don't yet have milk I would highly recommend using one. That way your stimulating your milk to come in.
3 weeks of milk is more than I was able to store before our DD came home, so I think thats great! Every drop counts :)
noelani2
I suspect that your nine year old will accept an explanation of what you are doing, too, and maybe even be willing to help out with things, so that you can relax and nurse. I found that my older kids were quite proud of it, really.
Darillyn
I agree. My husbands youngest brother is 11 and he's never questioned me breastfeeding our DD. He just figures Mommys breastfeed their babies and I'm her Mommy :)
Thanks for all the support ladies!! I am just worried that it wont work and then ive spent all this money (which isnt exactly growing on trees these days) and effort into something that didnt turn out. I guess my biggest thing right now is that i am on the pill so i can pump yet. Well, maybe this is TMI but i still got my period this month and ive been on the pill for 18 days. So how the heck is it "tricking" my body into thinking its pregnant when im still getting my period!! I want to just ditch the pill and start pumping now, but on the other hand then im worried that if i do that the past 18 days were just a waste and i could;ve been pumping the whole time and have some milk hopefully by now.
I dont know who to ask to get a qualified opinion on whether or not to ditch the pill. My OB knows nothing, the LC just is following what the accelerated protocol says, Which is to stay on the pill minimum 30 days or longer or until you see breast changes, which i havent yet. And i emailed the LLL adoptive breastfeeding lady in WI and havent got an email back yet. Soooooo, looks like its one of those things that i am just going to have to decide YES OR NO, and be done. I just want the best chance to nurse.
THe other issue is that i am going to be working until i have the baby at home. So, i work from 7:15 until 2:30 in the after noon. So if i want to start now and pump, i wont have many time to do it until im on maternity leave. Maybe 4 times a day. And that doesnt seem like enough to bring my milk in. I dont know, i just worry about everything!! its just how i am!! Thanks so much for all the advice and tips. Rach
You can email Lenore Goldfarb or Jack Newman directly. They're really good about responding and usually in a timely manner.
Advertisements
Hi, rd200!
I know it's frustrating when there's just not a ton of info out there. I've had to rely a lot on these boards and the ones over at AskLenore. Reading other people's experiences is very helpful. FYI, I NEVER took the pill. I can't because of medical reasons. I started taking Domperidone and then started pumping two weeks later. I got drops right away and have been pretty steadily increasing every week. I've been pumping for 10 weeks and now get almost 5 ounces a day. I only pump 3 - 4 times a day. Once we're matched, I will probably add 1 or 2 night pumpings. I know everyone has different results but I just wanted you to know that there are people who have had success without going on the pill or pumping many times a day.
I did get a response from Lenore today. She said to stay on the pill for at least 30 days, or pretty much until the baby is born. Which coincides with the due date for the most part. I also got an email back from the LLL lady and she said the same thing, to just stay on it. But she said that i should be taking up to 120 mg of Dom a day. Im taking 80mg right now. Is anyone else taking that much Dom?? I havent had any side affects from the Dom at all. Except if i take it too late at night, i cant sleep very well. And im hungry ALL THE TIME!!! i can eat a 5 course meal, and 1 hour later, i feel like im starving again. Im going to gain like 20 lbs at this rate!!! good thing i have a very physically demanding job!! So, i guess i will stay on the pill for now and maybe the baby will come late. Thanks guys for the encouragement! Rach
I take 120mg of Dom a day and do well with it. It's interesting that you mention that it keeps you up if you take it to late because that happened to me at first too. I NEVER have had problems sleeping and in the first 2 months of being on dom I would be up sometimes half the night unable to sleep. My dr prscribed me Ambien (which was wonderful) and in time it passed and now I don't have any issues sleeping. Maybe my body just adjusted to the Dom or something.
HopefulMom2bee
I take 120mg of Dom a day and do well with it. It's interesting that you mention that it keeps you up if you take it to late because that happened to me at first too. I NEVER have had problems sleeping and in the first 2 months of being on dom I would be up sometimes half the night unable to sleep. My dr prscribed me Ambien (which was wonderful) and in time it passed and now I don't have any issues sleeping. Maybe my body just adjusted to the Dom or something.
I cant say 100% that its from the Dom. Ive always kinda had sleeping issues. Mostly cuz i worry alot and i just cant get my mind to stop thinking when its time for bed. Thats my main problem. But it just seems like since i started taking it ive been up more than usual. Or maybe its just the fact that im expecting a baby in 9 days!!
Advertisements
rd200
I cant say 100% that its from the Dom. Ive always kinda had sleeping issues. Mostly cuz i worry alot and i just cant get my mind to stop thinking when its time for bed. Thats my main problem. But it just seems like since i started taking it ive been up more than usual. Or maybe its just the fact that im expecting a baby in 9 days!!
That could be it, too! :D
So i talked to the adoptive breastfeeding lady at la leche league a few days ago. She said that i should stay on the pill and up my Dom to 120mg/day since the 80mg/day hasnt seemed to do anything. I guess iwas a bit skeptical, just cuz i have been asking Lenore and she has not said to up the Dom. So, i did, and i finally feel like im getting somewhere. I cant say that my breasts are that much bigger in apperance, but they FEEL bigger and i think that my bra is tighter. So they must be getting bigger. Im so happy im taking more Dom and that it seems to be working. Yeah!!!
Unfortunetly i might be doing this all for nothing. Communication between me and emom has came to a hault, (not on my end) and im getting really down about the situation. With only a few days before her due date, i feel like its all crashing down and i am scared to death that i am doing this all for nothing! Rach
Right before our daughters due date was a scary time for me, too and for the same reason. Her bmom and I emailed a lot leading up to her birth, but the closer it got the more she pulled away. I think I even started a thread in the GAP board asking if anyone had dealt with the same thing and a lot of people had. I just want to encourage you that her pulling away might not be her changing her mind, but maybe it's just her processing her feelings and needing her time. I ended up giving her her space and would periodically email her to tell her I was thinking of her and praying for her and she would always tell me appreciated it.
I'm glad to hear the increase in Dom is working! Thats great news! Hang in there!!
HopefulMom2bee
Right before our daughters due date was a scary time for me, too and for the same reason. Her bmom and I emailed a lot leading up to her birth, but the closer it got the more she pulled away. I think I even started a thread in the GAP board asking if anyone had dealt with the same thing and a lot of people had. I just want to encourage you that her pulling away might not be her changing her mind, but maybe it's just her processing her feelings and needing her time. I ended up giving her her space and would periodically email her to tell her I was thinking of her and praying for her and she would always tell me appreciated it.
I'm glad to hear the increase in Dom is working! Thats great news! Hang in there!!
Okay, so i freaked out over nothing and now i feel bad. Emom emailed me last night. She said she just has been really busy lately and hasnt had a minute to check her email. Everything is still fine, and she feels okay yet.
I was soooo happy when she emailed me last night. I almost started crying. I thought that things were going south quickly! Thanks, Rach
Advertisements
RACHEL
I'm glad you heard from emom. This has to be a very intense time for you both. It's almost time though! So, you'll be getting baby while you wait for the legals? We only have to wait 48 hours for a TPR, and I can't imagine waiting any longer than that. Keep us posted!!!
curiousaboutgeorge
RACHEL
I'm glad you heard from emom. This has to be a very intense time for you both. It's almost time though! So, you'll be getting baby while you wait for the legals? We only have to wait 48 hours for a TPR, and I can't imagine waiting any longer than that. Keep us posted!!!
Yes, we will take the baby home as a legal risk placement and TPR will happen about 30 days after birth. It will be a very rough time on both me and emom. But if nothing else, i gave him a wonderful home and tons of love for the first month!! I can sound that gracious about it now only because im not thinking about the fact that on the 29th day it could all come crashing down around us.
But the good news is i can stop the stupid BCP in 6 days and then i get to start pumping. Unless baby comes sooner than 6 days, then i can just start nursing right away. Well, try too, i wont have any milk yet.
Im sorry your supply went away. That really stinks. You have some time yet, and im sure now that you are better it will come back. Good luck to you also, Rach