Advertisements
Advertisements
Viewing Single Post
I'm not counting a respite but my first *own* foster placement. I can clearly remember everything about it! I had actually just met the foster parents of my respite placement & dropped her back off. I was on the road going to meet my hubby who had already taken the truck in to get worked on when my cell phone rang. It was the one and only caseworker I knew. The same one that licensed me & repeatedly told me they NEVER got babies.. She called offering me a 2yr old boy that needed moved from another foster home &/or a newborn girl who was 1 day old & still in the hospital (seperate placements). I said YES immediately to the newborn & told her I'd talk to hubby about the 2yr old. We went shopping and bought all those little newborn things that we no longer had and then had to go home and wait an ENTIRE day before being able to pick my new daughter up at the hospital the next evening. I went to pick her up alone while dh stayed home and fed our kiddos supper. I remember walking into DCS and meeting the CW for the first time. Being shocked to meet the biomom as well and how young & skinny she was. I couldn't believe she had just had a baby 2days ago (hello, meth. ). The CW and I headed to the hospital & I was still shaking with excitement that I was going to be walking out with an itty bitty! They put us in one of the rooms while they got discharge papers ready. I got to hold her and count her little toes and fingers. Change her diaper and dress her in the going home outfit I'd bought her.. That was 4 1/2yrs ago and I can remember it like it was yesterday. Just like the birth of my biological children. Although we never got into foster care to adopt- 17months later that little newborn was adopted into our family. The first of many to join the family.