Advertisements
Advertisements
I hope I don't offend anyone by my question. I'm not LDS, but I've noticed that a LOT of LDS couples have successfully and quickly adopted through an online site for hopeful adoptive parents, and I wandered if religion had anything to do with it?
I mean, is adoption openly encouraged or discussed among LDS folks? Are there perhaps more LDS birth moms wanting to place with LDS families?
I'm Catholic, and while larger families are perfectly ok and encouraged, adoption per se is not very talked about at the pulpit, and I've seen no major success or overrepresentation on the above site by Catholic couples.
My knowledge of the LDS faith is quite limited, but I'm hoping to learn something here. Feel free to PM or email me at anilorak13ska@hotmail.com. I'd love to see if there is more to my observation than mere coincidence.
Thanks!
Karolina
I think it's more likely that an LDS single unwed mother is more likely to consider adoption. And when considering adoption, they will almost always choose LDS parents exclusively.
Adoption is encouraged. And there's no social stigma from what I've seen. An woman who is LDS and places her baby is not a very small minority. A couple who adopts is also not a very small minority. We have a fairly large support system in our religion, so you really never feel alone. And the religion doesn't differ depending on location. I am as comfortable near my home as I would be in a foreign country. I know if anything happens, I need only find the nearest LDS member and I will be in good hands.
I also think there is a higher infertility rate among LDS couples. I'm not sure why ...(1940's nuclear testing in/near Utah perhaps?)
I'm not sure which agency you're referring to. But I do know that there are A LOT of LDS couples who adopt. I would say almost half the people I know and associate with on a daily basis, either have placed, or have adopted. It's really a normal thing among LDS people.
Advertisements
Thanks for your response, Aspenhall. It makes perfect sense the way you describe it. I only wish all religions would encourage adoption as it sounds like LDS does. We hear a lot about not aborting - ok, and then what? right?
Thanks again!
Karolina